Replicators/instances in Blender for physics?

Hi folks

I’m completely new to Blender… my primary modelling tool is Modo but I’ve been experimenting with physics and simulations recently and, well, Modo (for me at least) feels a little clunky in this area and specific results are not always easy to obtain. It may be that Blender (and all 3D software) suffers from the same problems - Bullet, is, after all not perfect (the scaling thing is crazy)… but different packages have different ways to deal with this. Anyway, the tutorial I tried with Blender (wrecking ball smashing into blocks - sorry, can’t post a link as a newbie) was easy to set up and did the job nicely. So Blender ‘wins’ on that score.

It seems to make sense (at least right now) to create animation data and then get that data back into Modo so I can render there. From what I’ve seen so far, Blender (or more specifically, Cycles) does a pretty good job but it’s not as good as Modo’s native renderer. Don’t be so quick to jump down my throat though… this is just my experience… and the bottom line is I’m much more used to Modo than Blender so I’m bound to achieve better results (modelling and rendering) in that package.

What I’d like to be able to do is create a similar animation to the wrecking ball… but using, say, 5 or 6 objects, replicated/instanced to produce hundreds. I’m not seeing where this is done in Blender… is it possible? Perhaps ‘replicators’ or ‘instances’ is the wrong name for it.

Perhaps it would be better to bring all the objects (already replicated/instanced) into Blender from Modo? I’m not sure if this is the best method though. Replicators (or whatever they’re called here) are lighter on the processor whereas I’d be bringing in hundreds (possibly thousands) of ‘real’ objects, not replicated/instanced ones.

So… to recap. I’d like to:

1. Create a similar animation to the wrecking ball but with custom objects not merely blocks.
  2. The custom objects will be hundreds of copies/replications/instances of 5 or 6 main objects.
  3. I will be bringing the 5 or 6 main objects in from Modo regardless (I’m much better at modelling in that package) but is it better to replicate/instance those objects in Blender (if so, how do I go about this - can someone point me to a tute or info?) or will it be better to bring in the already replicated/instanced objects?

Or is there a much better method that I’ve not thought of?

Hope this makes sense!

Cheers,

Darren.