Hard surface sharp corners

Howdy,

I’m looking to get some help on an issue I’ve been dealing with for a very long time and have gotten by with some get-arounds.

Is there any way to make a corner of a panel sharp without causing any pinching? I have tried 100 different things it seems to get it to work and I consistently hit a brick wall every time. ATM, I’m modeling a robot drone thing, and I’ve come across the same problem. It seems to be working out OK since I’m able to get more organic seams. But for the more detailed spots I would like hard corners. And I have no clue of how to do it.

From what I understand, there’s a way to achieve this by NOT using the subdiv modifier, but I’m not sure how that works for “round” shapes.

I’ve posted the model I’m working on right now. You can see how most of the seams flow with the model and like I said, it works out OK. But, as I said, I want the higher details portions of the model to have sharper corners, etc. I’ve also posted a shot from under the wing that hopefully illustrates my thoughts and another shot from a car I made.

Thanks for your help

Attachments

Well… you can use the sharp edge modifier, but first you need to select edges that you wish to sharpen and press ctrl+e and choose mark sharp, then apply the edge split modifier, uncheck edge angle and you’re good to go.

Here’s what that did on a test mesh:

unless I’m doing it wrong

The order of the modifiers is crucial here, sort the modifiers in a way so that the subdivision modifier is on the top and the edge split modifier is on the bottom. That should fix the problem. The arrows on the right of the modifier panel are used for sorting itself, almost forgot to mention that.

dont know if edge crease helps 100%

That’s mostly useful if you have additional edge loops around the creased area, but in this case I believe our fellow afdave14 was looking for something that wouldn’t require additional edge loops, or perhaps I’m wrong?

Could yo explain a bit more: “by NOT using the subdiv modifier, but I’m not sure how that works for “round” shapes”
From what i see on your model, Subsurf is used. Also, post #3 clearly shows that.

What do you mean by “there’s a way to achieve this by NOT using the subdiv modifier” - there is, of course, if you subdivide your mesh, optimally to the infinity (for the smoothness of the view, that is)?

Other than that #3 is perfectly doable if one accepts use of Subsurf, however i’d like to see example from Ognjen.

Here you go:

Here you can see the appropriate order of the modifiers that I mentioned before.

Here’s the second one:

In this one you can see that I creased the outer edges of the mesh and sharpened the inner ones. By using these two methods I managed to get a nice effect, wouldn’t you agree, eppo?

No doubt it suits to this particular shape; i dare to say OPs example is a bit different.

And we both use Subsurf while OP was trying to go without.

The only thing I hope now is that our friend has found a suitable way of making his “extra” sharp edges and if he did, he could mark this thread as solved so that we could move on and help other people. But I get it that it’s hard to figure out that the way to mark the thread “as solved” is to edit the started thread and change the prefix, wish they could the change the old way of marking threads as solved.

Advanced mode while editing first post should help to mark thread [SOLVED]. If it is…

I’m not even sure what OP wants, all of these things… especially crease tend to cause pinching. And I don’t see how he would get sharp edges without subdivision modifier, unless he splits the edges himself, uses edge split modifier or he just bevels corners of panels that he wants and leaves them like that without adding the subdivision modifier, trust me I’ve seen people do this all the time.

Yes, that’s correct. I’m trying to sharpen the corner/edge without adding extra geometry since that edge always modifies the rest of the mesh in a negative way.

Could you show the wire for this mesh? That is the result I’m looking for.

I knew that there had to be a way to do this with a subsurf modifier since I’ve seen it all over the place. I just haven’t figure it out. What I was referring to was a video on blender cookie (http://cgcookie.com/blender/2014/08/26/modeling-hard-surface-panels-curved-surfaces/). I never made the same shape he did in the video, but tried the same process on the simple shape I was playing with on the post above. I didn’t get the same results, but at the same time I was super tired and didn’t really care. Also, I read a post on another thread that seemed to indicate making these corners were nearly impossible with the subsurf modifier. Obviously that is wrong.

My point wasn’t that I don’t want to use the subsurf modifier. I DO. I was using that as sort of a last resort option since I couldn’t get it to work with the modifier.

Sorry for not being clear with my question. Y’all have helped out. Once, eppo posts that wireframe for me I’ll mark this as solved

@eppo oops. I didn’t know you posted the wireframe already. Thanks

Also…am I an idiot for not figuring this out? I have been trying to figure this out for a very very long time, and it seems like nobody else has had this issue. Maybe I just didn’t search hard enough. It seems like a ridiculous amount of work to get one simple sharp corner on a car/mech panel…

I just wish there were more full examples of people using this in their workflow

I may missed something here.
Trying to understand what’s the so complicated.
Mean crease on the n panel + subsurf modifier.
However, select these loop cuts only.

I’ve done stupider things in blender and real life and I’ve come a long way in 3d modeling, it happens from time to time to everyone.

Hi. Thanks for your question on my sketchbook post. Thought I’d pop over here and take a peek. I can assure you right now that you have already had the masters weigh in on this subject. I have been using Michalis’ technique, with my own adaptations/approaches, for awhile now. Also, as far as incredible looking ships . . . Daniel Brown is king IMO. He posted a couple YT videos which I have downloaded and watch repeatedly. I aspire to make ships like him someday. (Look up Daniel Brown CGI on YT to find them. They’re outstanding IMO.)

Your drone ship model is really sweet!! I like where you’re heading with it!

As far as edge-creasing, I used to just add extra loop cuts but have been using the N-panel edge creasing options for the past 7 or 8 months. It really changed my approach.

Another thing that helps me, IMO, is my highres-textures. That also really keeps a nice edge in displacement (which I can bevel modify later if desired).

I hope this helps.

What I’m trying to deal with is the pinching that I’m getting. Here’s another shot from my drone model using your technique. This is actually I the best I’ve gotten it to look, so thanks for that

I guess I should re-open this thread

@Astro1derboy, thanks for the tips. I will definitely check out those youtube videos. And thanks also for the positive feedback on the model I posted here. I’m working on the first concept I’ve done. I’ve got alot of ideas for the final shot

@afdave14
You have full control over these issues.
By example: Select the outer loop (you may need to multi select “shift select” the loop) and GG to move it a bit.
As I said, you have full control over all these.
Hit [G] and again [G]