Need help with curve/array modifier 2.70

Hello, everyone. I’ve been using Blender for about 6 months… I am trying to model a ship that my nonprofit is planning to build, we call it The ALLSolar Vessel. It’s trimaran, and the two “wings” will have staterooms with large portholes. In my heart I have a concept of what it looks like, but modeling it has been a challenge, as I am making it up as I go along. It’s concept art that we’ll use to present the idea. It has been difficult and time consuming as I am having to watch and learn from tutorials nearly every step of the way.

The wings are curved and distorted along x,y,z. The faces are all different sizes, otherwise I would just select all that I need and extrude, etc… So I modeled the porthole that I want, and this is where I run into even more trouble. Because the wings are different angles and whatnot throughout, I decided that I would copy vertices from each “row” and convert them into a curve and use an array modifier, but it did not work out as planned… copying the porthole, dragging it around, and rotating it accordingly manually won’t work unless i want it to look like that’s what I did, and i’d like 50 of them… so no thanks.

Any suggestions or questions for additional information? Thank you!

So basically what you are trying to say is that your porthole is stretched once a curve modifier is assigned to it? This happens with every assigned mesh to curve modifier that uses a curve that is… well… curved. Luckily there’s a another method for this problem, this video should provide you with all the methods as well as the one that solves this problem: http://cgcookie.com/blender/lessons/01-comparing-methods/

If this doesn’t help or if you have trouble fixing the problem, message me and I’ll make a video that will show you another way to solve this issue, yes that’s right, a video just for you!

Thank you, looking at the video now. I’m going to take some time with it, and will let you know.

i’m doing the best i can with learning this stuff, it’s even difficult for me to explain what i’m trying to do… i need each row of portholes to follow their own curve, and each of those curves will have twists along the curve, so each porthole will need to rotate accordingly so that they follow the curvature of the hull uniformly. no idea if it’s possible, but it seems like it is.

I know that sometimes it’s hard to hand out your own work to other people, especially strangers, but in order to solve this problem fast and more effectively. I’m going to have to ask you to upload your blender file of this project to solve this issue easily, and perhaps some real word or drawn images that accurately or somewhat represent the result you’re trying to accomplish.