Noise, Noise, Noise

Hello community

I am creating a scene and when I added in the lights things got noisy fast. I used cylinders above to light the scene. how can I eliminate the noise?

I think trying to use area lights instead of meshes with an emission shader would help. You don’t have the round shape this way but that’s barely noticeable.

A standard pathtracing implementation shoots out rays from the camera and lets them bounce until a light source is reached, upon which the total accumulated color is multiplied by the emittance of the light source and added to the framebuffer.

You have a few very small, very bright light sources in a large room (at least that’s my understanding): The probability of rays hitting such a small light source is extremely small, making the convergence extremely slow. And multiple importance sample becomes useless with so many tiny light sources using it.

Cycles is not optimized for scenes like that: Use larger light sources or waaay more samples.

Use larger plane with emission and play with the value. Jack it up high and then start to lower it until it’s what you want.

• Cycles Noise Ambassador,
    FoundationsofPause

This also look like 10 samples. If it is, jack that number up to 100,200…1000…

Any chance of providing a blend file (or similar scene), its a lot easier to actually see your setup/values and adjust from there :slight_smile:

Switch to another render engine, scenes like this are notorious for their complex and hard to render lighting, but it would be useful to know if this is 100 or a 1000 samples if its 100 you just need to render it longer until maybe around 1000 and if this is 1000 samples or more you need to switch to a better engine or fake the light bounces in the scene with area lights.

I found a very good basic tutorial to use Cycles in Blender:

just a tip… anything that emits light near or intersecting other mesh will create many many many fireflies also area lights are much faster than mesh lights and clean up better as well