Blender 2.7 crashes on startup.

Hi,

There’s a problem I’ve been encountering for quite some time, but haven’t been addressing for said amount of time, because up until now, I’ve been using an older version of blender. (2.68a)

Every time I try to launch a newer version of blender, be it .71 or .72, it immediately crashes with “Blender has stopped working.”, and no visible error on the console or anything otherwise shows up with details. I’ve even checked my local temp files for some sort of crash log, and haven’t found anything. Strangely, Blender versions 2.68a and 2.49 work perfectly.

If anyone can tell me why this happens, how I can fix it, or even where to find a crash log, that would be greatly appreciated.

Also I’m kinda new to the forums, so I’m not sure if this is in the right topic.

My PC specs:

Windows 7 x64
AMD Radeon r90x 3gb
Intel core i5

Blender 2.71 and up changed the “communication” between Blender and the GPU: Check graphics drivers - everything up to date?

Correct version of the Visual C++ Redistributable Package installed? Blender 2.71 and up use another compiler, so you will now need the 2013 version (and not 2010).

There is a known incompatibility between Blender and some non-standard desktop themes for Windows. Especially “Window Blinds” is a notorious troublemaker in that regard and known to stop Blender from starting correctly.

Thanks for the reply;

I’m pretty sure my graphics drivers are up to date, but just to be sure I’ll update them again.
I have installed the 2013 version Visual C++, and it still gave me the same problem.
As for window blinds, I don’t have it or anything like it installed, I never bothered changing the look of my desktop.
I’m pretty sure my graphics drivers are up to date, but just to be sure I’ll update them again. I’ll get back to you if it works or not.

Not sure if the previous reply was posted, the site seems to work a little slower that others… In hindsight, your suggestions didn’t work. I updated my graphics drivers, and even updated windows, and to no avail, it continued to crash. If someone could please provide some insight into this, it’s driving me up a wall with frustration. Here’s a screenshot of what happens, if it helps at all; https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/215505034/ShareX/2014/11/2014-11-13_22-19-56.png

Do you have a PYTHONPATH environment variable on your system pointing to Python 2.7 libraries?

Not sure I know what that means exactly?