High poly meshes

Hi I Hope you are having a good day.

Is there a way to turn a high ploy mesh into a low poly mesh and still keep all the detail?

Thanks. Any Help and Solutions will be greatly appreciated.

Yes, there are.
E.g. the decimate modifier can help you

No, if the face is the detail, it will get lost when you remove it.

But, as usual with visual things it does not need to be high-detailed as long as it looks high-detailed.
One way is to bake the details onto a texture. This way you can use much less faces, but the textured mesh looks like more details.

Extreme example: an image on a face. You have just a single face but show a complete landscape. Indeed, when you move the camera the audience would see the trick. So make sure to stay in the limits of your illusion. Games are illusion :D.

You need to make another object (low) that has the exact shape but less faces of that detailed object (high). And afterwards you should bake all the details of it onto the new one.

Thanks everyone I really appreciate the help.

@RockyMadio
How do I go about creating an object with the exact same shape but less faces.

This is an example. The model on right side is a sculpted model, which contains very many faces. The left one is a new mesh i created for it. There is no any modifier or generator for that. I just add a new object, and move grid along the highpoly. until the new object totally wraps it. The details of her musculature are also baked into a normal map, that can be placed on the lowpoly to make it seem to be a copy of the highpoly.

You can have a look at this explaination:

@RockyMadio
Thanks for the video. So how do I turn the mesh on the right into the mesh on the left.

Hi I hope you are having a good day.

Could someone please point me towards a good retopology tutorial.
(preferably in pdf,HTML or MHTML)

Thanks. Any Help will be greatly appreciated.

I 've tried many times, and using decimate in blender in 2.73 at least, takes forever to do its thing on say my current 475K mesh. I have no idea for sure really, what to expect blender to be able to handle before it bogs down.

I do not have a low end machine , I can play WoW on ultra except for shadows I keep that on medium, yet going into edit mode on this 475K mesh, makes it impossible to edit , let along rotate around. Lag city usa.

I tried multires or subsurf but having no luck at all.

Hope someone can point me to a tutorial on say youtube, showing how to work with a mesh with as many verts as mine does atm.

TY
caj

I recommend you use the “Unsubdivide” mode for the decimation modifier. It should neatly clean up the faces like in that example (depending on how you modeled the object).

If my mesh have a good topology, I do the low poly version by using the “Edge loops” option in delete menu.

This is just one example of other tools that you can use.

I don’t recommend to use the decimate modifier, it destroys your topology, the idea is make a low poly version manually.