Ptex texture mapping in Blender ?

Hello everybody!

I’m very new to the amazing world of Blender, please be gentle :wink:
I hope nobody will hate me for my opinion but… I always hate UV mapping! and after saw how Ptex works it seems like the perfect way for me to texture fast for my future animation projects.

It’s fast, it’s a huge time consuming for people like myself who fight with UV for hours instead of enjoy the creation.
Don’t get me wrong, I actually enjoy the texturing (painting) process especially if it’s inside Blender and not moving to Photoshop. That’s what I liked about Blender most! that I can do almost everything inside one software, that’s amazing.

I wonder if there is a plugin or maybe there is already a way to use Ptex in Blender?

Thanks ahead and have a wonderful day!
Sorry about my bad English.

I wonder if there is a plugin or maybe there is already a way to use Ptex in Blender?
Blender currently does not support Ptex

At some points there seemed to be plans for Ptex in Blender several years ago :
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Nicholasbishop/Ptex
But since then it looks like that project died.

That said, it seems that OpenSubDiv supports Ptex natively :

OpenSubdiv is Pixar’s open source project to handle Subdivision Surface generation and drawing. In Blender this is currently handled by 1 thread only, and it needs to generate the subsurfed data first, before it can draw.

OpenSubdiv instead:

allows full threading, including use of GPU
creates and draws subsurfed "on the fly", so you don't need to generate/store data
has excellent crease support
has adaptive (screen space) subdivision

supports Ptex natively (non UV texture mapping)

, so we’ll have to wait for OpenSubDiv implementation in Blender (that’s going on since several months) is completed and maybe Ptex will really happen then :slight_smile:

Thanks you for your replies.
I guess I’ll keep fighting with UV until it will be supported :wink:

If you want to paint in the 3d view only, you can use the Smart UV project unwrapping and directly start painting.

Thanks for the information! :slight_smile:
I have no idea how it works since I’m very new to Blender but I should look for tutorials on this subject.
If it works as I think it is (like automatic unwrap on other software) it may always have problematic areas to paint, so it’s not 100% perfect all the time right? but I’m not sure… maybe it is perfect hehe

Tadaa!

OMG!!!
I must check it out, Thanks @taiwofolu ! :smiley:
Do you know if it’s going to be official feature in 2.74 ?

No i don’t but i guess it will. Hopefully

Not in 2.74, MAYBE in 2.75, but I wouldn’t bet money on that.

That’s cool, meanwhile I should have a taste how it works… hop fully it’s friendly as it looks (for a Blender noob like myself).