BSG Cylon 0005

I’ve been working on a model of the Classic Style Cylon centurion from “Battlestar Galactica: Razor”. Eventually this model will be fully rigged for animation. I also expect to upload this model somewhere once it’s done.
Here’s a couple of WIP shots.

nice. I like the slightly distressed material. cylons were always too clean looking imo.

Thanks. I’ve managed to finish a bit more of the model. I decided to render this one without the shoulder pad to showoff some detail I’ve added in just in case I decide to come back after this model is finished to turn it into the U-87 from “Caprica” (which I’ve been using quite a bit for reference).

I did a turntable of the helmet where I had used a more chrome-like finish. I’m kind of torn between that and what I have now. Here’s that turntable.

I wound up changing the back of the helmet a bit after I decided to do the full model.

Here’s another WIP with the spine added.

It took me forever to find reference material for this part of the model. I finally managed to find this image from the construction of the Physical U-87 prop.

Here’s a couple more pictures of my progress.

I’ve pretty much finished the torso. Next I’ll be working on the limbs

I’ve finished the upper arm of the model and re built the pelvis section. I’ve also re-worked the materials.

The idea was to get closer to the chrome plated finish of the original Centurions from the classic series. I then decided to make it look like the chrome plating was rusting and flaking off as a result of many battles. I also added a spray painted Cylon symbol to its chest to make it look like it might have been some sort of war hero.

Looks pretty accurate so far, although AFAIK the rust & decal are “non-canon”… I still think it’s a nice touch.

Thanks. The logo on it’s chest is actually based on a symbol that the Cylons use in the classic series.
I’ve finished the arms and hands. and made sure they’re fully rigged for movement.

One thing I’ve noticed is just how much cheating they used on the model used for the show. for instance, the hydraulic piston on the back of the arm actually intersects through the arm as the elbow bends. If I limited the arm to what’s physically possible, it would be impossible for the Cylon to do things like aim guns or anything involving bringing its hands to its face.

Just put together a quick test of the rigging for the arm.

Some more work done. I’ve finished the thigh section of the legs.

Another quick animation test. I was originally going to mostly use normal parenting to rig the model, but I decided to change the rigging to be more reliant on bones. This is just a test of animating using IK targets.

I got a bit side tracked and haven’t had much time to work on this. I finally managed to finish the lower part of the legs, apart from the pistons which will be added once the feet are done.

looking great, man. very menacing.

Thanks. I’ve managed to finish the back of the legs.

I’ve finished up the feet. All I have left to do is to give him some weapons. I decided to go back to a clean material for the base model just to get the base material working since the over-glossy chrome just wasn’t looking right.

Finished the wrist mounted knife.

Awesome, awesome, awesome!

Hey this model is so good. I’m pretty new to the whole blender thing and am picking it up as I go along. This model is an inspiration for us newbies, particularly those who loved BSG in all its forms old and new. Just wondering are you going to put this mesh up for download? I’d just love to take a look at how you did it in detail and Mandy have a bit of a play with the rigging. Looks like I could learn alot from this project.

Thanks. I’ve just made a few adjustments to the helmet. mostly to reshape the visor to better match the shape of the U-87 visor from “Caprica”. I also changed to bottom of the front vent.

@Durry01. I just saw your post. I am planning on releasing it on Blend Swap. I might even upload it tomorrow. I myself have learned quite a bit from this model, including complicated rigging techniques using bones. This project has gained more importance to me given the recent death of Glen A. Larson (Battlestar’s Creator).