The Complete Blender Install/Configuration Guide for Ubuntu 14.04LTS - 14.10

I’ve been using Blender with Ubuntu (and it’s derivatives - Linux Mint, elementary OS etc.) for quite a few years now. But one thing I’ve noticed is that there’s very little up-to-date information on using Blender with Ubuntu.

Blender can be installed in several ways, and it’s good to know how so you can decide which is best for you.

I’ve created this guide to help anyone interested in trying blender with Ubuntu - Because it’s on the Blender Artists forum it’s easily found too.

I’ve also written it to reach out to as many people as possible, so it does go into some depth, especially for beginners to Ubuntu - skip parts if you know what you’re doing.

As of writing, this guide works with Ubuntu 14.04 and 14.10, plus Mint and probably elementary OS with a few modifications. I’m not currently using anything other than Ubuntu, so I can’t test, your mileage my vary.

Contents

• Installing Proprietary Nvidia Drivers for Cycles.
  • Install Blender Through the Default Repository (Software Centre).
  • Install Blender with a PPA (Personal Package Archive).
  • Install Blender Manually, Downloaded from Blender.org.
  • Suggested Software for Artists and Animators in Ubuntu.

Installing Proprietary Nvidia Drivers for Cycles
If you have an Nvidia card and you wish to get the most power out of it for Blender. Perhaps use Cycles with GPU if your card supports CUDA, then you’ll need to install the proprietary Nvidia Drivers.

In the Unity Dash simply type “Drivers”, an application should appear with the title “Additional Drivers” - Select it.

After a few moments, you should be presented with a list of Nvidia drivers to choose from. Choose the one you prefer. You’ll have to be online obviously and Ubuntu will take care of setting it up for you.

Bug alert! The splash-screen that displays Ubuntu while booting will currently disappear and probably be turned into text. This is a known bug and has been around for a while. I expect when the new Mir appears, it will be fixed - it’s not a deal breaker though.

You can get the picture to display again, but you are limited to SD resolutions not HD, plus in 14.04 it defaults to what I think is 640x480 until the login screen appears.

Install Blender Through the Default Repository (Software Centre)
After completing a fresh Install of Ubuntu, most new users will head over to the Software Centre application to download and install Blender. But after doing so realise that it’s an old version of Blender.

The Official Repositories are geared to your version of Ubuntu and when that version came out, that’s the version of Blender that is available. Ubuntu’s version updates are every 6 month, Blender ever 3.

Use this method if you don’t need the latest bells and whistles and don’t want the hassle of going a bit further technically.

Currently as I write this, The Ubuntu repository for 14.04 has Blender 2.69 but the current release version of Blender on Blender.org is 2.72b.

PPAs (Personal Package Archive)
A “Personal Package Archive” or PPA for short. Is a means to install Blender on a regular basis. All done automatically when new versions are available.

To use the common “irie” PPA that most users use, all you have to do is open the Terminal and enter the commands below, one line at a time, with a carriage return (Enter Key) in between. You’ll also need your default password. Each part will take a few minutes to complete depending on the speed of your internet connection. Look out for any confirmations on the way too.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:irie/blender
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install blender

For general users it’s a great method, but the only drawback is that if you have an Nvidia card and wish to use GPU rendering for Cycles, then you’ll have to do the manual method below. Additionally with PPAs you can’t guarantee they will be around forever.

Install Blender Manually, Downloaded from Blender.org
This is the method that is a little more involved depending upon how much you wish to do.

Steps from 1 to 4 essentially will give you blender to launch.

Steps 5 to 6 gives you an ‘Application Launcher’ to add to the Unity Launcher or Docky if you use it.

Steps 7 to finish will allow you to ‘double-click .blend files to launch inside Blender.

Download Blender
1. Head over to blender.org and download Blender for Linux - making sure you select the relevant 32bit or 64bit version in the process.

The file should be compressed into an archive tar.gz, this is the default archiving format used in Ubuntu which is similar to .zip in Windows.

If you haven’t modified anything, your downloaded Blender archive should have been placed in your ‘Downloads folder.

2. Create a folder in you ‘Home Directory, call it “Other-Apps” (The title will be required later).

Note: Linux’s Terminal is easier to use if you avoid using spaces in your titles.

3. Open your Blender archive the same as you would in Windows, ‘double-click. Ubuntu’s default Archive manager loads, drag the Blender folder to your newly created folder Other-Apps.

At this stage if you wished, you could launch blender by going into the Blender folder and double-click the file titled “blender”.

This isn’t that great as there is no icon associated for blender. Also we can’t ‘double-click .blend files to open, or have an icon to represent a .blend file. If you want more, lets continue.

Re-name the Folder
4. First up we need to re-name the main Blender folder to something easier, which should be something similar to this “blender-2.72b-linux-glibc211-x86_64.tar.bz2”.

It’s a bit long to type in and could differ for different builds yo have. For this guide to work, name it blender”.

Upgrade Tip:
When you wish to upgrade it’s very simple. Just re-name your current “blender” folder to something like “blender-old”. Now simply unpack the new blender tar.bz2 archive to your Other-Apps folder and re-name that to “blender”.

Create the Application Launcher
5. First up it would be nice to have Blender icons to appear on the Unity Launcher strip, or appear in the Docky Launcher (again if you have it installed). Luckily for us, Blender ships with icons within it’s folders which will be perfect for this.

Open the the Text Editor, normally titled “Gedit” and copy the text below into the editor:

#!/usr/bin/env xdg-open 
[Desktop Entry] 
Version=1.0 
Type=Application 
Name=Blender 
GenericName=3D Modeller 
Comment=Create 3D images and Animate 
Exec=/home/<b>stanley</b>/Other-Apps/blender/blender 
Icon=/home/<b>stanley</b>/Other-Apps/blender/icons/scalable/apps/blender.svg 
Terminal=false 
Categories=Graphics;3DGraphics;GTK; 
StartupNotify=true 
MimeType=application/x-blender; 
Name[en_GB]=blender

Remove the name ”stanley“, and replace it with your user name, normally lower-case.

As you can see within this text there are details which Ubuntu needs to know what Blender is, as at the moment we haven’t really installed Blender and Ubuntu doesn’t have a clue what it is.

Save the file to somewhere handy for now, such as the Blender folder we re-named earlier. Save it as “blender.desktop”.

Note: Ubuntu uses “.desktop” files to launch applications

We have now created a working launcher with an icon. If you double-clickit, blender opens.

Drag the blender.desktop launcher into Unity’s Launcher strip
6. If you don’t have the Unity Launcher hidden, you can now just drag the blender.desktop launcher icon onto the strip.

If you’re using the Docky launcher. Simply run blender and right-click the icon that appears for Blender on the launcher strip and select “Pin to Dock”. Then move it to somewhere handy within Docky’s strip.

Mime-Types
7. At the moment you can launch Blender conveniently with an icon, but your .blend files won’t launch Blender yet. Additionally your ‘.blend files don’t have an icon associated with them either.

Because Blender isn’t installed automatically, we still have to teach Ubuntu some more details. Currently Blender is running self-contained like a pendrive app.

First up lets get the Mime-type working and opening Blender when you double-click the .blend files.

Inside your ‘Home directory we need to turn on the Hidden Files, select CTRL+H. This is a toggle and can also hide them again.

Note: Anything with a “.” (dot/full-stop) will be hidden by default.

Next locate this folder:

.local/share/mime/packages

If any of the folders don’t exist, create them.

Very nice post! To save time, creative people should look for Ubuntu Studio because it have a lot of useful bundled software. Do you, by any chance, know how to install/configure 3Dconexxion Spacenavigator to work with Blender in Ubuntu?

This is great! Thank you, good sir!

While this does have 2.71 available for download at the moment, it hasn’t been updated since June 2014 and seems to have been abandoned. For now, it seems unlikely any updates will be available for installation this way.

If you are a nvidia user and can’t get cycles to work with the GPU (the GPU won’t show up in user prefs) unless you run blender as root first, just install nvidia-modprobe package (this gave me quite a headache).

For the “splash-screen” (plymouth) you might wanna check this. That script didn’t work for me so I modified it a little bit (I removed the resolution detection bit):

#!/bin/bash
sudo apt-get install v86d -y
resolution=2560x1440-16
sed 's/GRUB\_CMDLINE\_LINUX\_DEFAULT\=\"quiet\ splash\"/GRUB\_CMDLINE\_LINUX\_DEFAULT\=\"quiet\ splash\ nomodeset\ video\=uvesafb\:mode\_option\='$resolution'\,mtrr\=3\,scroll\=ywrap\"/g' /etc/default/grub &gt; ./newgrub
sudo mv -f ./newgrub /etc/default/grub
sed 's/\#GRUB\_GFXMODE\=640x480/GRUB\_GFXMODE\='$resolution'/g' /etc/default/grub &gt; ./newgrub
sudo mv -f ./newgrub /etc/default/grub
sudo echo "uvesafb mode_option=$resolution mtrr=3 scroll=ywrap" | sudo tee -a /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
echo FRAMEBUFFER=y | sudo tee /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash
sudo update-grub2
sudo update-initramfs -u
echo "The resolution should be fixed after a reboot"

Just change the resolution on line 3 “resolution=2560x1440-16” to any resolution you want (resolution=640x480-16 … for example), save the file, and then in a terminal run “chmod +x name_of_the_file” and then run it as admin. I tried that fix in 14.04 but I haven’t tried it yet on 14.10.

organic, I heard rumours of problems with the “irie” PPA, but had no way of testing for sure, maybe it’ll be sorted soon. It’s like I said in my post, PPAs aren’t ideal.

slug45, The other methods for making Nvidia Cuda/GPU/Cycles rendering working in Ubuntu without downloading the complete archive from Blender.org is a real pain. I hope my tutorial will avoid some of that, even if it’s a little long if you want all the “bells-and-whistles”.

With regards to the Plymouth boot screen script, I’m always very wary to try, especially when Grub is concerned. I’ve tried a host of methods, but in the safety of “Grub Customizer”. Nothing worked for me though. If the script caused bother, my Desktop wouldn’t boot - scary. I need some more Guinea pigs to test before I just in! :wink:

The whole Plymouth/Nvidia issue is a can of worms and has been for years.

I’d just like to add, if you follow the above tutorial for Mime-Types, icons become thumbnails of the actual .blend files inside. This was very unexpected and a real bonus. To get it to work, all you have to do is save a .blend file.

You can get your old .blend files to have thumbnails by opening them and saving them with the same method - saving generates the thumbnails.

Jay.

When I try launching the .desktop file i get this message “There was an error launching the application.” There is also no blender logo icon attached to the file

I’ve checked and rechecked that the path in the file matches where the executable is located and am not sure why this does not work

Exec=/home/myusername/blender/blender
Icon=/home/myusername/blender/icons/scalable/apps/blender.svg

I decided on simplifying the home folder and not adding “Other-Apps”

any ideas?

Smoother, I’ve messaged you :slight_smile:

thx. unfortunately it does not help as i followed your directions. ive never had to manually set up a profile file, so it is entirely possible that htere is some quirk in my system holding me back, altho file properties look the same to me as anything which works. a proper ppa or deb file direct from the blender foundation would alleviate this until ubuntu decides to update their repository.

Hi everyone,
I’m experiencing the same as smoother. PLUS the “executable” in the file DLed from blender.org won’t launch when double-clicked. Unless I also install the 2.69 version that can be found in the repository, and then i can use 2.72. But since blender crashes ( when i’m playing with the smoke simulator ) I’d like to be sure my install is correct before looking into other possible reasons.
Anyone had the same? Any solution?

Thanks.

I found out I was missing some part, I can now run blender 2.72 without installing 2.69 from the software center. The bad news is that it crashes when I try to bake a smoke simulation I have on a .blend that is perfectly (but slowly) handled in W7. I hope I’ll find the reason for this issue soon!

Great post, would it be an idea, please update the wiki pages with your text

I have the same problem as Smoother and Gieop_jose with the “There was an error launching the application.” and no icon with the .desktop file

If I try to launch the .desktop in the terminal I got blender.desktop: Permission denied and trying to do launch blender it says it’s not install.

I previously installed blender so maybe there’s a conflict somewhere?

cheers

There is new (updated) PPA for blender. It’s easy to install, it upgardes automatically every week and it has minimal duplication with the ubuntu/debian core (no duplicated python or ffmeg for example).

sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:thomas-schiex/blender
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install blender