Export to STL rescales to 0 size

I have some models that I am thinking about having 3D printed. After doing some clean up I exported the model using the STL exporter. I then uploaded the file to the 3D print vendor and got a message saying the size of the object will be:

0 cm³ - 0.02 in x 0.02 in x 0.01 in                                      

The model is dimensioned in imperial units because I work from blue prints that are in inches.

Actual dimensions of the model are 3 7/8 in X 3 7/8 in x 1 1/8 in. I use this model in a simulator and it scales correctly in the sim. So I know the model is the correct size before it is exported.

I have check for the possibility that some scaling setting could be causing an issue but all of them are set to 1.0.

Anyone have any ideas about how to get a good STL export?

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Technical Support”

I guess I stumped the band!

Has anyone here done any 3D printing using blender as the modeling tool?

Anyone have any idea why the STL export screws up the sizing?

Hi hvengel,

i am trying to find a solution about your problem but i also see that with inches doesn’t work. If you design in metric and change the scale factor that is under Degrees to 0.001 and export it then it is working but with imperial Units is always the same. I ve tried to export it with defferent kind of factors but i see that nothing is changing. Maybe is a bug but i am not sure. I have been working with Blender and 3D Printing for the last 3 years and when i design i leave everything default with blender units. 1 Blender unit is 1mm. With inches i haven’t worked and i don’t have experience with this unit.

I can maybe help you- will it be possible to share the blend file so I can do tests with my 3D printing softwares and see how the models will load?

info (at) ckbrd (dot) de

Claas