Filming a Live Event, fighting auto exposure.

Hi Everyone,

Funny to not be asking about blender but still. I’m part of an amateur dramatics (Very amateur) society and in previous years I’ve filmed the live performance on my old Sony handycam onto tape. We’ve just decided to buy a new camcorder to record the show, all simple enough but in previous years I’ve just hit record and then gone to do the sound, lighting and more recently “tread the boards”, so I would just leave it running until the interval then change the tape. The biggest problem we have is that the Auto exposure ends up blowing everyone’s faces out white due to the lighting rigs position.

A few things:

• Would a modern camera cope better with the blown out faces.
• Probably going to need to leave it on Auto Exposure due to different lighting for different scenes.
• How much memory would I need to record an hour of footage (each half is an hour)
• How fast would a memory card need to be for that (I use class 10 on my 550d)
• Any recommendations on Camera (leaning toward Canon)

Below is an example of the problem from 2010

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

The human eye is amazing at adapting to varying brightness levels, camera’s not so. If possible, adjust the lighting: move it further back, light the whole stage (ie edges and front)
I think even a modern camera would struggle, though a modern CMOS would probably do better than the older CCD’s.

Video is huge. A dvd is 4gb (I think) and can hold 2-3 hours of standard definition.

Sorry, can’t help you picking a camera.

Yeah…you can have a super cool camera but if you don’t get the lighting right you will not get anywhere.

Having done some discussing, we’re going just get a Canon Legria Handycam, based on the fact that I saw some video from last years show shot on a nokia lumia and it looked great, so hopefully a half decent camcorder should get some decent footage with someone keeping an eye on it.

Every one likes to watch Filming of Live Events and always adapting to varying brightness levels they should be used HD cameras for high quality output, So that’s why I always prefer likes to Watch Penguins of Madagascar Online Full Movie .