A bug for those who are interested

Hello ladies and gentlemen!

One bug exists since 2.71 - 2.72b --> the eyes of my character keep protruding out while moving in certain areas. After narrowing down the issue, i find out that increase the frustum of the sun lamp solve the problem.

I do not report bugs. Currently, i don’t use bge anymore. Just something to give back to the community since we can’t find a way to donate to bge only.

There are still many issues after 2.70.

Cause:

I do not report bugs.

Effect:

There are still many issues after 2.70.

I will admit, I have no idea why the light’s frustum should affect an animation. Care to share a blend?

Sadly, Seems no developer time for BGE.
Looks like same what I reported meny months ago.

With shadows, that wont happening.
I have planning make options (dynamic shadows on/off) if player have old machine? Then this seen again:(
Meanwhile I wish to time for developers…

I can’t tell what’s happening there, looks like transparency issues.

Here’s my suggestions, ignore them if you’ve already tried it:
Blend Alpha and Sort alpha have never worked well in Blender. As soon as you get one transparent object on top of another you get sorting problems. Alpha clip works well, so it’d be best to use that. Also set a new material for eyes and teeth which is opaque, not transparent.

As well as the eyes it looks like the back of the character’s head is showing through the hair.

I don’t know why changing settings on the lamp would change how the alpha layers are sorted, it’s just one of those things I guess.

Good guess, I have made many mistakes with alpha at the beginning.

But this is really a bug. (Skinned mesh draw one step wrong time compared direct parenting to bones. happening after 2.71)
The eyes are parented to eye bones, and body is skinned.
That image was shotted when character runs.
Who knows why, animation skinning is in the time when shadowmap is presented, at least 512 resolution.

And yes, character hair alpha makes me gray hair, but this is another story.

Further investigation shows that the culprit is the sun lamp!

With the unmodified file, just adding a new sun lamp with shadow turned on solved the problem. This is true whether the existing sun lamp is deleted or not(no adjustment in frustum size needed). It seems that sun lamps are not the same in different versions.

The character has no texture at all.

Ok guys, that’s all the time i have. All the best!

Be careful with your reasoning, son! This forum is already polluted with too many narcissistic big-headed kiddies, don’t add one more to it.

I’ll make bug reporting only if they make the process less time consuming and more straightforward. I’m not a student who has so much free time to spend. I’d completed my degree more than two decades ago. I’ve a few businesses to run at hand, time is just too precious for me. Don’t make assumption!

I had a bug get closed like 10 minutes after I opened it, (it was a valid bug btw)

if this was the case, it usually indicates an incomplete report (i.e a convoluted example file, or irreproducible bug in trunk)

Be careful with your reasoning, son! This forum is already polluted with too many narcissistic big-headed kiddies, don’t add one more to it.

I’ll make bug reporting only if they make the process less time consuming and more straightforward. I’m not a student who has so much free time to spend. I’d completed my degree more than two decades ago. I’ve a few businesses to run at hand, time is just too precious for me. Don’t make assumption!

Concerning sdfgeoff’s remark, it’s important to stress that developers don’t go looking for bugs. To do so would require an inordinate amount of time, and patience, because it’s tedious as hell. Instead, we rely on regression tests (for which the BGE has few to its name), and bug reports. If you do not report a bug, there is little guarantee developers will be made aware of it. Furthermore, even if you mention it to a developer, others are not aware of this situation, and thus cannot benefit from the information made public by the bug reports.

I’d be interested in hearing more about your thoughts on this process. As far as I can tell, the process as it stands is quite straightforward. You choose a category for the bug, write a short descriptive title, lengthier but concise body and attach an example file for reproduction, followed by a priority tag.

Arguably the main point of conclusion is that you are justified in complaining about bugs if developers are aware and ignoring them (though, of course it’s their own free will), otherwise it’s unreasonable to expect all for nothing! :slight_smile:

The system would probably be more or less the same no matter what game engine you use, if you don’t report bugs in the official channels for the respective app. then your chance of getting a fix in response will plummet.

I said my animations were not playing,

he said to click allow/trust scripts and closed it out, this was not the issue,

the animations, were not playing…

it looks like it’s a issue with restrict animation updates…