Some "mist" and fake "god ray" effects - videos

This is not a serious work, just fooling around, the level is kinda boxy style, there are no shadow map texture, and there is no much model detail.

Mist and some kind of “god rays” (shader by Martinsh)

With some shadow maps

sick project dude! very nice…

Thanks hanzo :slight_smile:

That’s some pretty nice looking smoke effects (though I’d love to see a 1080p/720p version of the videos). How did you manage to make the smoke particles blur the background? Is that a DoF filter?

Are you using a shader for the god rays or are those planes with a texture on them?

Nice job!

The shadow maps are nice, but they don’t seem to be affecting the gun.

Thanks MrPutuLips :slight_smile: and yes I’m using a 2dfilter effect for the DoF.

Yes you are right, that’s because I’m not using a light, as a matter of fact, I just used it to bake the shadow map texture.

For the god ray’s effect I’m using a shader, and not specifically planes, but yes :slight_smile:

Yeah, this looks really cool. Nice colors and atmosphere. Any reason why you chose a baked shadow map over a dynamic one?

Wow this is looking great! cant believe that the old god rays shader martinsh made! its still holds up! keep up the great work on this!!! :slight_smile:

You said in your article that you are using nodes for the god rays and volumetric lighting. Can you share this resource? I may have missed where it is. :slight_smile:

Sorry guys, I missed out my own post :open_mouth:

Here is the link, so if you want to try it.

Please take into account that the mouse actuator (look mode) has a bug that makes it behave a little weird at high resolution or when compiled. So, I use to execute the game test inside blender, but not in full screen (I mean, not in viewport maximized) in order to work properly.

And sorry for the mess, it was intended to be only a mouse actuator test.

The other scene contains the billboard planes that act like mist, as a overlay scene, so this way I avoid the overlapping look with the plane-objects. Maybe with a python script would work better, but again, it was just a test.

To see how it works just look arround, and for the 2DFilters and scene overlay, select the object “ammo&clip” (that red rectangle background area where are the ammo, clip and grenades -yep, it is a mess, shame on me…:o) to see the logic brinks that manage that.

Thanks!, hope you find this useful. :slight_smile:

Link here.

1 Like