3D Robot Challenge at 3D Squirrel

I’d like to invite you to take part in 3D Squirrel’s latest 3D Modelling Challenge. There are some great prizes, including the top 3 winners will get an interview and publication of their render in 3D Artist Magazine. More details are available here: http://www.3dsquirrel.co.uk/robot_challenge.html

Check out MillionthVector’s Doom Spider created using Blender during 3D Squirrel’s 3D Robot Challenge: http://www.3dsquirrel.co.uk/forums/files/file/13338-robot-spider/

Dayum it’s spider-transformer !But seriously this thing is consistent and solid, he’s the winner right ?

It’s pretty good isn’t it? MillionthVector hasn’t stopped with this entry either. You can view his ‘work in progress’ thread for another Robot he’s entered here: http://www.3dsquirrel.co.uk/forums/topic/3490-walking-robot/

There’s still plenty of time to take part in this Challenge as the deadline isn’t until 30 January 2015.

Anyone interested in taking part can find more details here: http://www.3dsquirrel.co.uk/robot_challenge.html

Beautiful designs, but once again…no originality,or practicality.
I am not saying that all of them, but 99% of the machines are military orientated - one way or another.
We’ve seen 100’s of robot - spiders, scorpions,dogs, cats, battle-walkers…you name it. Big load of metal with absolutely no purpose for humanity. Over-sized guns, over-sized ammo …and most of all…multi-barrel turrets - enough already . BIGGER is not always better , unless you are making a Jaeger from the Pacific rim.
I am not trying to be judgmental…I just think there is more to a human creativity than remodeling the wheel over and over again.
Peace

Hey this is a very interesting challenge ! I will not join in because I have no need to win the prizes that are offered, no offense !
I will leave that up to others who are willing to play along with the whole idea.
I hope that you guys at 3dsquirrel will make more of these challenges, personally it’s a really good idea :slight_smile:

What would be nice is to see a competition, where the challenge is to design a robot that can help humanity, for example put out forest fires, rescue trapped people…

Personally, I really like weaponized sci-fi robots, I mean, lets face it, when’s the last time you stared in awe at the almighty power of a small, weapon-less robot? From an art standpoint, size and weapons just make things more fierce and dominating.

I understand what you are saying, but just because i like something - doesn’t make it original and originality is part of the competition.
Transformers , for example , you saw one - you’ve seen them all, but everyone will remember Dino Bots ( dinosaur transformers)…because they are not the same as the rest - ( ORIGINAL ) …the rest of the movie was just…a metal brawl.
Or lets say- people who like Lady Gaga ( not me ) …as crazy as she is…she is very original.

Challenge Accepted!

You can always make an original weaponized robot, putting guns on a robot doesn’t automatically make it unoriginal, had I put a fire hose instead of weapons on any of my designs wouldn’t have made the design more original, merely its function.

You are missing my point there mate.
I am not against robots with weapons…i am talking about robots with weapons that looks very similar to the ones that were made before. I also was talking about the robots that were already submitted for the competition - not all of them.

And yes…a robot with a fire hose WOULD be more original - fire brigade robot for example. Use your imagination for a change and add some flavor to it. But if war machine is the only direction you can go towards - whatever" floats your boat", but let me guess…it will probably have a reverse-knee legs and 3 types of guns on it…which will weigh more than the robot it self.

Like i said, i am not trying to be judgmental … but please dont try to defend the obvious.

Ah, so what you don’t like is the number of stereotypical war-bots in the contest, I think it’s that way because that’s generally where ones mind goes when one thinks of robots. I personally don’t think it’s a problem, the almost cliche, over-the-top war robot is generally what appeals to the population and isn’t the easiest thing to model or design properly, so I think it is a good demonstration of ones ability.

I actually have a concept for a flying robot I’m thinking of doing next, maybe you’ll like that? (It’s still going to have lots of weapons on it though. :|)

Anyways, happy Thanksgiving!

I don’t know about “Awe”, but what about “Awwwwww!”?

Haha, good point!

I have been working on this float droid. I cant edit out a image . it said upload failed so i put in another. They are the same render so do not look for a difference

Attachments

You’ve got to go on 3Dsquirrels forums and make a WIP thread in the Robot Challenge section, if you’ve got any WIP renders, post them there, then upload the robot to the website in the Futuristic Characters section, adding the tag “robot challenge”.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a fire brigade robot. There’s a design challenge that I’d love to see! I agree with CG-Predator, no originality points for battlemechs and transformers, no matter how fantastic the execution might be.

And that’s not to say they’re not fun and worthwhile projects to undertake, that’s not the point CG-P is making.