quick ? "rack focusing" footage and blender camera tracker

in camera or in post? …which is advisable…just trying to save time, if somebody already knows

I would think post will be faster because all you have to do is animated your blur node(s) with a greyscale distance matte output in to the blur node factor input.

cool thank you…cheers

Umm, no seriously in camera has better result and no render time. Also in post you have to separate objects by depth, which means lots of masks tracked to footage and preferably it should be mapped onto geometry for better edge separation.

If everything is in 3d, why can’t he just applied an Object Id to all the objects and composite them. That way he have more flexablity rack focusing each objects depth if he so chooses. But the defocus node would be faster if he animates the distance in the camera’s DOF option I hope.

Doh I thought the op meant a real camera! Hahaha

ok I’m confused here…I mean a real camera as in my t3i, limit the DoF there and simulate it in blender…the in camera Dof looks nice and it’s easy enough to place a 3d object in front of said…but what about when u want slowly reveal an object or character that is obscured by D0F…

Of course you can do this in Post but you have to cut everything out and layer it, you will have more control but you may have to reconstruct in 3D if there is movement. If i’s a locked off shot (static) then you only need to arrange the depth elements in space with some keying applied. The real issue is separation and the look around effect you get from the circle of confusion (the ability to see around objects when defocused).

If you can easily mask the objects that you want to pull focus on then do it in post. If its hard, like foreground movement or finely detailed hair etc. just shoot it that way.

there will be a fair bit of movement will be joggling “trackability” with maintaining shallow dof in terms of how set my shutter speed, so I want to be well prepared, the rack shot will be still though as u would expect
this is useful thanks