FreePIE integration

Hey,
I recently wanted to use the BGE for smartphone VR, so I implemented FreePIE. FreePIE is a program that can read data from various types of tracking devices, including android.
Video of it in action:

The demo game in the video (.blend):Download (Read the steps before playing with it)

How to set up:
If you want head tracking + video streaming:

• Download Trinus Gyre on both android device (from playstore) and PC (client download available in that page).
  • Download FreePIE on PC
  • Paste this script in FreePIE and then run it (Script > run script)
  • Open the Trinus Gyre client on PC, make itthisconfiguration
  • Connect your android phone to PC via USB and enable USB tethering
  • Open the Trinus Gyre app on the phone and check “autodetect” if it’s unchecked, and set the sensor port to 5554
  • Launch the demo file that I provided in the standalone player and then minimize it
  • Click the big shut down button in the phone app and then the PC client
  • Then a small window with a drop down menu will appear, choose blenderplayer from that menu
  • Restore blenderplayer, and you’re done!.. that was long :stuck_out_tongue:

If you just want to see how FreePIE only and my integration works:
You’ll find in freepie’s directory “com.freepie.android.imu.apk”, sideload it on your phone, set the port to 5555, use this script in FreePie.

Enjoy!

Nice, does it need to have the two screens (for 3d?) or can you just have a single viewport?

Single viewport. I’m using the built-in side-by-side stereo mode from the render tab, for it to look 3d in VR head mounts like Google Cardboard.