Viewer node update?

I am trying to wrap my head around how the viewer node works. I have connected a render-layer to the viewer-node. In the UV/Image editor I have choosen “Viewer Node” and the render layer shows. And changes in the node-editor update the viewer-node. But is it possible to see other changes aswell? When changing materials, or just anything?
(I was wanting to play around with the freestyle settings showing only the freestly lines, but the viewer node does not update)
Thanks

The viewer node does just what its name implies. It shows the output from the connected node.

(I was wanting to play around with the freestyle settings showing only the freestly lines, but the viewer node does not update)
Thanks
If you change the freestyle settings or materials you will have to re render your scene to see their effect. The renderlayer node is not a real time rendering node so if you change your scene you will need to update it by rendering. If you just change your node setup you will see the effect with the viewer node

Or in other words, compositing and sequencer are post-processing steps. They need processing (rendering) first when the input data comes from the scene (render layer node).

Thanks! Slowly grasping this…
I suppose render layers also belong to post-processing, no way to set the 3D view to render and choose a render layer?