Blender's object selection

Has anyone else noticed how annoyingly difficult it has become to select an object in the 3d viewport from amongst a host of other objects in close proximity? Blender cycles through all the objects except the one you wish to select. Even if the cursor is directly on the object!

I first noticed it with 2.72 and I’m aware that a lot of work is being done on blender’s viewport, so it’s probably a temporary problem. But i still wonder, what’s the reason behind this? Was there an update of some sort to the viewport? Is it a bug? or is this the new “standard” in 3d softwares?

Hold down the Alt key

Moved from Blender Discussion to Support / Basics & Interface

Yes. Interestingly, that works normally.
But if i had to hold down the alt key every time i needed to make a selection, i would probably quit using blender altogether.

I would be willing to go through the discomfort if there’s a greater benefit tied to it, but right now, it’s just a big annoyance.

Check preferences -> System -> Selection

it was OpenGl Select before, now it’s on automatic and has probably chosen the new occlusion method (depending on your card). Try the option and see if you can get the old behavior back.

Perhaps go to User Preferences->System, try to switch “Selection” - for me, Occlusion Queries is much faster but gives this annoying behaviour you describe. I tried to add my voice to the report but nothing. https://developer.blender.org/T41669

EDIT: what Hoverkraft said

Thank you very much, guys. I never would have noticed that setting.

Things seem to be back to normal now :slight_smile: