default light set in glsl texture paint mode

hi guys, as you probably see in my videos I often use Blender for paint my textures.

Blender has a great texture paint toolset BUT…
Am I the only one that when start to paint in GLSL mode have to set up a rig of lights, or fake a matcap to see normal map and blend effects in viewport?

Some time I want to show the ‘texture paint mode’ to friends at work, ad actually the setup before starting is pretty clunky.

I think Blender should have a default light set when no lights in the scene (like the glsl default lights). That can really save a lot of time and give a smooth workflow.
(of course if you put your own lights, Blender will use it)

what do you think?

Save your light rig in your default file, that is what I do. I hide it on another layer and turn it on for painting. Other than that, yes, you are right that there should be a default that allows instant painting - but the flip side to this is that the mode allows you to see what your lighting has effect on in scene. Lovely work all the time btw

Hi @MmAaXx,

“Voici” a tip of my friend Craig here in this list, go to the Local-View mode [numpad /], the light is global for painting and I love this solution!
Thanks Craig (all is fine for you?).
Best Regards.
Spirou4D

Doesn’t seem to work in GLSL anymore, only multitexture

Craig,

With Cycles:
I have make a try but with a background sky pure white with 10 power with a PBR cube with mat (dif,spec,normal,displ,AO):

• in render mode: normal and displacement ok
  • in material mode: no or weird.

Yes not working
“to see normal map and blend effects in viewport” -> how ?

“to see normal map and blend effects in viewport” -> how ?

I use Blender Render or Game Engine with GLSL to see my textures. If I already have made Cycles nodes for texturing, I use the Material draw mode but that doesn’t show the bump effects.

I keep node groups effective for both Cycles and Internal, and I switch in internal from ‘Use Nodes’ to not so that I can paint. More now I bake some from Cycles to images I then layer with painting in internal and then plug all back into Cycles.

I have made other setups BUT
there are a great differences between material mode view :

and render mode view!!!

Yes, I think that the material draw mode is just not complete yet, but was an answer to painting in Cycles without GLSL support. It is far better than before with the single texture map view - but in that mode, I have gone to keeping a window with a render draw mode on so that I can see some feedback.

“I keep node groups effective for both Cycles and Internal, and I switch in internal from ‘Use Nodes’ to not so that I can paint. More now I bake some from Cycles to images I then layer with painting in internal and then plug all back into Cycles.”

=>

1 BI + Cycles: node groups effective for both

2 Swith yes or not node: for painting.

3 Bake with Cycles in textures -> I understand = HD textures!

4 Return in BI to “layer with painting” -> (what you mean, Craig?)

5 Return in Cycles to : plug all in nodes. -> I understand.

I definitely agree that the default GLSL lights should be used in the absence of lamps in the scene. It works great when painting in ZBrush.

Ho yes absolutely ok with you m9105026!!!

some time when I paint, I try to paint in render mode but it’s very slow…

4 Return in BI to “layer with painting” -> (what you mean, Craig?)

I mean I switch back to Internal render from Cycles, and plug these new images into the texture slots of my internal material so I can paint. on top with transparent diffuse images for accenting the new textures.

Ha ok Very good practice, Craig! Thanks a lot for your explanations…
I can go ahead now…I work on the “texture paint plus” addon because the shortcuts don’t run with Blender 2.72b now…
I understand what you mean when you paint so…
Bye bye

+1

It’s just common sense.

i agree on the default lights thing! Someone needs to address this with psy-fi. He probably has his hands full as we speak though

I definitely agree that the default GLSL lights should be used in the absence of lamps in the scene. It works great when painting in ZBrush.

Really?
What GLSL has to do with the zbrush preview?
Apples to oranges.
Quite deferent real time render engines. Quite deferent approach.

It’s not different at all. The default lights in ZBrush are the same concept as the solid OGL lights in Blender.

+1 if this could be implemented as max had said, wow!

It’s not different at all. The default lights in ZBrush are the same concept as the solid OGL lights in Blender.

It may looks like, but it isn’t.
Zbrush is not an OGL application.
Zbrush lights also cast shadows (somehow)
Zbrush uses both matcaps and/or these simple shaders.
It also can convert fake lights or fake environment lights into a matcap material.
As it isn’t a OGL app it can also produce fake SSS, fake AO (with some control)
Anyway, zbrush does its magic in a way I never understood well.
In fact, all these nice looking ZB shaders are rather a PITA for me.
I constructed and use a quite grayish shader, just to maintain some preview of what gonna see after importing and rendering in other engines. (like cycles). Something like the bottom row, left matcap in blender.

Michalis, you’ve been seriously misinformed :slight_smile: OpenGL is quite capable of all the things you mentioned. It’s not DirectX per se that brings all those features to ZBrush, it’s how the graphics API is used. Blender’s viewport drawing code wasn’t designed with these things in mind (seeing as it comes way back to when programmable pipeline didn’t exist at all, and it’s not like Blender had a dedicated team modernizing GL rendering code all the time). Granted, current BI Material mode (ye olde GLSL Textured view) can provide e.g. shadows, but its performance is clearly not suitable for sculpting. Current viewport improvement project may help with bringing modern shading features somewhat, as was already demonstrated by Psy-Fi.