"9 chemin des gauchoirs" teaser, a new blender open movie

Hello!
We are pleased to share with you the teaser of “9 chemin des gauchoirs”, our new short film done with blender. All blender ressources will be available at the end of the project, and even earlier for our backers! Yes, we are starting a kickstarter campaign today, you’ll find a tons of information on this page :

>>GO TO KICKSTARTER PAGE<<

No more bla bla… the teaser is there :

Attachments

Looks very good!

Thanks! Stay tuned, we have prepared a few surprises for next weeks

Looks awesome. Very strong style!

Not to rain on your parade or anything, but I had a look at your Kickstarter page, and I was put off immediately.

I understand English isn’t your first language, and that’s okay, but when you choose to advertise and solicit money through Kickstarter, you should really have someone copyedit the text.

To me, this Kickstarter page presented one main message: This project has no quality control whatsoever.

It’s so great to see these type of open projects taking off outside of the Blender Institute, it just shows how far Blender has come.

The quality looks outstanding… good luck:)

@Klutz, were you watching the same trailer I was? I think your comment is a bit harsh

Hello there! Thanks a lot for your kind words.
@ Klutz I don’t get your point. Don’t you see the very big subtitles? (btw, “copyedit” in one word doesn’t exist in google traduction, but I think I get what you mean;) )

I am very much looking forward to this. I saw the kickstarter page, and after seeing the video there of so many people contributing, I think this will be a really great production. It looks like a very creative and original work.

fuuuuck it looks great, fantastic low poly early 90’s style

Haha ! You got it Looch :). My main inspiration for the movie was Myst, the game that made me want to do 3D ! The rendering had to be a bit more modern though, so that’s why we use all the new rendering feature that exist now.

Thanks everybody for your messages, you all made my day.
(by the way, I’m the movie director, so please, don’t hesitate if you have any questions or comments or…)

Haha ! You got it Looch :). My main inspiration for the movie was Myst, the game that made me want to do 3D ! The rendering had to be a bit more modern though, so that’s why we use all the new rendering feature that exist now.

Thanks everybody for your messages, you all made my day.
(by the way, I’m the movie director, so please, don’t hesitate if you have any questions or comments or…)

No, I did not bother to see the video, since the promotion text put me off, I realize my comment was harsh, but I (like everyone else here, I hope) would like to see this project make it, and, again, the text gives me the impression that it lacks quality control. But that’s just my 50 cents here.

@dddjef: Posting a comment in a user forum is something quite different from writing ad copy. Typos here are nothing to get hung up about.

Klutz is both right and wrong. He should have watched the trailer (and you still should if you havent already because god damn it’s pretty) to have the full perspective on the situation before critting the kickstarter. At the same time, yeah. Oylbis needs a proper translator. Google translate is terrible and no one will take you seriously if you present yourself only through it.

That being said, the project itself looks absolutely fantastic.

Hi everyone,

I’m really sorry about my bad english. I tried to improve it when I was in New Zealand and then in London during three years. But it’s quite hard to perfectly master an other language in such a short perdiod. Also, I didn’t wrote all the text for the kickstarter (as I was putting most of my energy on the project), a few other people did, and it’s really time consuming to go after every spelling mistakes. When I read it, I thought it was quite understandable. But you’re right, I should have been more carefull about the text, as it’s really important. So again, sorry about that.

About the project, here are some news. We just did a new update on the kickstarter page. You’ll find, through the link below, a special simple tool we developped to make our workflow easier (and with all the informations about it). As there are two teams working on the film, one in Lyon, and the other one in Valence, we had to work with tortoiseSVN (which is a really good program by the way :slight_smile: ).
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/qwertzguy/9-chemin-des-gauchoirs-an-open-animated-short-film/posts

You’ll find a new image of the movie as well. Hope you’ll like it. Soon, we will update another time the kickstarter, so stay tuned !

And thanks for all your messages !

Nice teaser. I ended up looking the making of as well and got a question for you. For the Stereo-3D version of the movie are you using the multiview branch? or simply checking the 3d effect after the frames are rendered out with V-Ray? Thanks

Hello Dalai!
Yes we used a very old multiview build to have a realtime feedback of the stereo settings in the viewport, then we wrote down the parameters for interocular distance and stereo plane. And then we paste them into vray stereo parameters.
Your version was very usefull, thnaks!

Nice. That sounds like the workflow the ‘Kiribati’ project is using as well. That means no camera stereo parameter is animated in a shot, but that seems to be fine. Thanks for letting me know, I really like to see multiview being used (I’m wrapping multiview up at the moment).

Hi everyone !

As I said a bit earlier, I have a new update about the project today. It’s here :slight_smile: :
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/qwertzguy/9-chemin-des-gauchoirs-an-open-animated-short-film/posts

You’ll find a couple of informations about the story, a bunch of images that some of my friends did to illustrate the pitch of the movie, and a 3D character creation timelapse fully made with blender (prepass modeling, sculpting, retopology, shading and rendering). You won’t see any precise tips (since it goes really fast) about that process, but I will be glad to answer your questions if you have some.

Cheers !