help how to make a heart

I am trying to make your basic heart shape. Like a Valentines day heart… I start with bezier curves to do so, but get a jumbled off kilter heart. I was wondering do you use a primitive shape and remove and reshape faces when you do something like that?

There are several ways to do it, bezier can be a good choice, i guess, because I’ve never make use of them, otherwise you can do it starting from a cube, add a Mirror and a Subsurf modifiers, and start to subdivide or extrude the mesh; or you can even sculpt it, either with a Multires modifier or with Dyntopo, and in the latter case you can eventually retopologize it quite easily.

EDIT: A very low polygonal object with the adding of the subsurf can give the good shape and it’s easy to tweak by arranging just a bunch of vertices.

paolo

There are a number of methods as mentioned. turning a cube on it’s edge, then extruding NE and NW faces, then subsurfacing will give you the basic shape, and is probably the easiest way. however, if you want a really good one, I would recommend sculpting, followed by retopo-ing a quarter of it, then duplicate + mirror + join ( twice ) to finish.

Thanks you guys… Funny how you see it all in your heads, but on this end, I am trying to envision it. I found a tut on using Bezier to trace a heart pic. I am always looking for the path of least resistance.

@Modron Funny (turning a cube on it’s edge) Is it not already on an edge? I am trying to envision that one… Appreciate you guys input.

Is that something like this you’re after (bezier curve + mirror modifier with clipping “on” ) ?

http://i.imgur.com/L7RBqW4.jpg

I suspect they want the puffy kind but I could be wrong.

paolo

sourvinos, if you took what you have and from side view, tilted the front and back so that it’s narrower at the bottom and wider at the top, I think it would be more the classic heart shape.

Yeah, it was just a starting point, after you are free to find the shape you want.
If you look at the second image, there is an edge loop added along the side, and I started a quick tweaking, but you can see that it’s already difficult to understand the actual geometry, that’s why I deformed it as less as possible.

paolo

You guys are great! Appreciate the pics and input. Awesome!!!