Got procedural wood?

I don’t mind a library of wood jpg’s but I’m curious to know if anyone is making procedural wood that doesn’t begin to look inorganic before too long.

Just as a quick look at the idea, I have this to start. I know that wood has lots going on aside from the grain, but how best to identify and add those elements? Wave Texture doesn’t have a lot of radial noise or distortion, so head on, the rings really are very ring-like. Changing that would be good.

I guess this is the start of a hardwood like they would use in a floor?

other peoples have done some multi text wood texture!

happy bl

@Stan - wow, that video! A little prep would have been good, but I see what lead to that response. Just for the sake of users who search the Forums for answers, I’ll search fodder my thanks to you… as delightful as the Mapping Node can be for fast answers and adjusting the Coordinates Input, I only noticed that I can’t plug any adjustments in when I now realize I need to the most!

That Radial Noise and Distortion that I talked about in the Wave Texture (ring in my case) would be a crucial addition to procedural wood that looks totally real and that distortion has to enter the workflow about the time the Mapping Node appears. What the video (1 hour!) does, is show how and why to break the Mapping Node down into component parts so that users can add Nodes to control UV Scaling and Location for Object Coordinates with values and more textures (the part I intuited a need for). It’s Mapping Node deconstruction for much better procedural textures and this presenter is at the top of the food chain!

@Ricky - I bet they have! I wanted to see some for inspiration and get a dialogue going but that YouTube video is definitely the one to watch. If everyone did and then shared their experimental results, I bet this thread would be tops for procedural wood and Node settings.

I’ll finish the video now and post a few basics so users searching have something fresh to land on if they search. Thanks guys!