Creating crease in side of car

Hi all :slight_smile:

I’ve been working on the rear fenders of an R34, but need a bit of help with how I should do part of the mesh.

In the following picture, you can see where the part of the car that sicks out on a slope comes in to be part of the flat panel again:

I need to be able to join it like this:

But without it stuffing up the mesh like this:

Not only does it look terrible, but I can’t do loop cuts because of the triangle, and if I don’t do it, it makes creating the car doors a nightmare :mad:

What would be the best way to go about doing this?

Thanks!

have you tried using mean crease and/or mean bevel in those areas without having the doubled edge loop?

I’m so new at this so I haven’t heard of mean bevel (is it Ctrl+B by any chance?), but I have tried adding creases (Ctrl+E) with no success. I can’t seem to bring the geometry back to a flat panel without creating the ugly surface.

I can send the blend file to you if you want to check it out :slight_smile:

Perhaps this

crease.blend (92.5 KB)

These options are in the properties pannel (N) during edit mode when you have an edge selected, you can merge your double loops to create a single edge using alt M but you have to do it 2 verts at a time i think or you can select both loops and remove doubles to a large amount and it should fuse them into a single edge. JA12s method is also really nice.

Thanks for both the answers, guys I’ll try them out :slight_smile:

Ok, here’s what I did, is that correct? It still leaves a bit of a weird look at the end, but it’s much better than what I had.

Could get a bit better look at the end quickly by adding a dedicated support edge on the side and moving loops closer to the tight bend, keeping face sizes smaller on the area that is marked with orange in the screenshot. Could also add supporting loop on the other side of the crease.
Face size should change gradually on smooth surfaces (drastic on hard edges) but since the orange area doesn’t have room, keeping face sizes similar between the hard bend and the side edge gives a bit better result.

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

Would you mind sending me that file so I can have a closer look and play around with it a bit? :slight_smile: