Question about laptop GPU's (GTX 765M vs GTX 860M)

Hi, i’m about to get a new laptop, and i’m not sure which one to get, due to the GPU options.

There are two Medion Erazer (X7613 and X7611), full hd, 17" slim laptops, with only the GPU differing between the two (and the price). It’s basically the only powerful 17" laptop i could find that doesn’t look like a pimped spaceship designed by a twelve year old, but has a sleek design, at a reasonable price.

So, the one with the 765 is a bit cheaper (€150) but i’m not sure it’s he worst performer for blender. It’s older architecture, but it has more Cuda cores (but runs slower and draws more power). Most benchmarks i can find are about playing videogames, which i don’t think i’ll be doing that much, but for those, the 860 clearly outperforms the 765.

So, for Blending (cycles), what is the best deal? I’m not sure how the newer architecture, less Cuda cores, higher frequency compare, and if the extra money is worth it.

Thanks in advance.

Definitely the 860m, by the looks of it the 860m has:

• 768 Cuda Cores vs 640
  • Faster memory clock speed and bandwidth
  • Faster core speed as well

In a passmark directcompute (not CUDA, but still compute) the 860m scored 1575 vs 1243

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-860M-vs-GeForce-GTX-765M

You read that information wrong. I’ve seen that site, but it’s the 765 that has 768 Cuda cores and not the other way around. This is part of the reason why i’m asking. The 765 has more Cuda cores, but runs slower (and hotter) on older architecture (Keppler vs Maxwell).

The passmark score is indeed in favor of the 860 though.

Reasons to get the 765:
Much better 3DMark06 score
Higher texture rate
More texture mapping units
More shading units

Reasons to get the 860:
Much better 3DMark 11 graphics score
Significantly higher clock speed
Better 3DMark vantage graphics score
Higher effective memory clock speed
Higher memory bandwidth
Significantly higher turbo clock speed
Higher pixel rate
Significantly higher memory clock speed
Higher BioShock infinite framerate
Higher dead space 3 framerate
Higher crysis 3 framerate
Better passmark direct compute score

The best for Cycles would be a desktop :wink:
If you go for a laptop, 860M is definitely better.