outline a model with a black outline?

Hi All,

I’ve created a 3D model to pose and use on a 2D label. I am getting ready to color it. However, the cost to apply this soon to be colored PNG on a transparent background could get expensive down the road, unless I use only 3 colors total. I would make the shoes, feet, hands, and plate white. But here is the challenge… When this PNG with a transparent back ground is later applied to a white business card or package. My hands, feet and plate will blend with the white or disappear with the white background of the paper stock. Unless it were outlined with a black outline, using one of my colors of three.

Is there a way to outline all the edges with a Black outline? If so how to>Steps> if you got em> maybe a video resource?

I am using V2.71 BTW.

Thanks for any direction on this one in advance
NC

If Cycles… render some Z or shadeless mask which you composit with slight size increase under the main image after.
BI has Post Processing - Edge checkbox on Render tab, or Freestyle which is a huge subject itself.

Edit: Looks like Freestyle has more chances here - mark edges you need in the model Ctrl-E on selected edges and look for the options on Render and Render Layers tab. Can be different in 2.71, not sure.

in bl you can try toon edges!

there is also a node set up in cycles for this If I remember well
but freestyle will do that too!

happy nl

Well it is good to know that it can be done. Thanks for replying.

@Eppo- which version I using to “Z” space it? Is there a resource to watch this?

@Ricky-Toon edges in Blender, is that the search syntax? OR should it be Freestyle?

This was it
http://www.blender.org/documentation/htmlI/x8629.html

Thanks Ricky I used toon edges search

In that link it refers to f10 to render, my 2.71V does nothing with f10, mine renders using f12 but I do not see the edge modifier like in the pic below?

for bl look in render panel under post processing
adjust thresdhold

happy bl

Can’t you just add a “stroke” around the entire character in Photoshop?

Forget about that Z - too much of a hassle to sort out layers and masks. Will take forever. Here’s a Freestyle example.
http://www.pasteall.org/blend/32492

Metrov I think you are on to something there.

Eppo my friend I will take a look at your blend

Thank you RickyB for letting me know where it is at.

We are talking about an image that is to be printed, right? And that three colour maximum refers to print colours (as in CMYK)?
Then the Photoshop method may give you much more control over the actual (print) colour of the border.

A RGB black from Freestyle may not always convert cleanly to CMYK 0,0,0,100.

Ikari,
Yes, I was just down that path of thought as I imported my file into PS and then thought How B.R has no sample rate (that I could find?) As I would want this model to be CMYK compliant for cost and print. Along with at least 350 D.P.I
Have you any suggestions on export of 350 DPI or better? I was thinking I may have to lite board it in AI to export for Print. unless there is a switch or solution in Blender to NOT have to do that lite board step?

Ikari and Eppo thanks for follow up and links. Down the rabbit hole I go… I did get sidetracked with 2.72 and how volumes now render via GPU…? I think. Great news as my shuttle you both have helped on amongst others… was at 5 min a frame and not looking that hot with 16gb of ram via cpu render. SO I am looking forward to trying it via my Q4k and seeing what time I get for that.
Thanks again gentlemen appreciate it.
Regards
NC
P.S Ikari please share the math/formula I need to use to determine DPI? My stuff is 3x3" for packaging Max

Required dpi * print size in inch = required resolution.
In your case: 350 dpi * 3 inch = 1050 pixel. So the render resolution has to be at least 1050 x 1050 pixels.

Did I mention that I’m from a family of teachers?
So, here’s a little math lecture: Sorry. Can’t resist the urge…http://blenderartists.org/forum/images/smilies/sago/wink.gif
dpi = dots per inch = dots/inch (dots divided by inch). So, that’s basically a fraction with inch as the denominator. If you multiply that fraction again with an inch value (the print size), the two “inches” cancel each other out and only the number of dots (= pixels in this case) is left…

ahhh hahha ok so multiply * desired dpi by desired size(s) H-V
Thank you, I read all the posts and links from both of you. Good info. Thanks again.

1. Ikari I left a message on the older CMYK thread in regards to IN Design (which I have the Cs6 Suite) Any good read to give me a jumps start on bringing in that export after doing a 1050x1050 out of Blender>import into P.S to “sroke it” and then> into ID for a CMYK out as a PDF-x or whatever Japan will require from my box manufacture?
    I sure am glad I did not have to bring that into AI and lite board it!

2.The only thing a second question here (oh how those are overlooked or distract from the 1st one sometimes) That stroke in P.S is stroking the whole model, inside and out. Is there a way to only stroke or select what to stroke that you may know of?

EDIT_My Resolve would be Eppo’s blend file… Which I wade thru and see if I can figure what genius things he did in there.

I tried the B.R and Ricky Blenders way, but it was jagged aliased out… Cranked to 16 with one of the filter that has a negative value on the pixel too. As in this link you shared ( I Read) http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Render/Options/Antialiasing

As I just said in that other thread: If you’re familiar with Illustrator, please use that for your pre-press work. And btw: If we’re just talking about a color conversion, why not just do that in Photoshop?

InDesign is a beast and can be a b*tch to learn. And you will not need it for this. InDesign shines when you have to deal with larger quantities of text and print products on increasing lenghts (brochures, folders etc.).

Illustrator should give you basically the very same export options. Just make sure you get the right color profile from your printing service.

EPPO,
help me understand some of the modes you made for that outline please…That would resolve my 2nd question to Ikari where I could only outline the desired objects ( so I think)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]341727[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]341728[/ATTACH]

Ok will wrestle with Id another time. So just import and export via AI and check needed settings then. Thank you!
EDIT- or as you stated deal with it in PS if I stroke it there, But it looks like Eppo has the trick in blender to tackle that stroke.
Thanks Ikari

This is what I get from stroke in Photoshop (in red):

Isn’t that what you want? You can always mask out parts where you don’t want to see the strokes with a layer mask…

Dead links to both attachments unfortunately.
Freestyle (FS) is smart but you might have different opinion: example had it both ways.
First, FS allows to add and set different line styles and rules to them- where to draw each. Initially there is just one line style. You add them if you need that.
Second, you can mark edges of your mesh which you want FS to draw explicitly, despite any rules which might work or could just ignore them.
All what’s left is to figure what FS does like you need and where to mark edges. Setting line styles and modifiers shouldn’t be a problem i think, just a matter of some tweaking and test rendering.

For your project, idk, might be an overkill, what IkariShinji suggests is close to what i meant mentioning Z, just done manually.

Ikari,
I think that is a solid way to go… How or where do I set my dpi value in blender? Do I crank up my resolution under the cam icon to 1050 x 1050 then open it in a P.S document at 300x300 to get my 350DPI ?

Eppo, I am still trying to get your blend to apply to mine. I like the inner plate and some other subtleness of Free style. I am working on it now.
Thanks guys, much appreciated.
NC

Again: dpi is only determined by the resolution/print size ratio.
If your image has the right resolution, it will achieve the required dpi when printed in the correct size. The only relevant factor is the resolution in pixels. Therefore there is no need for a dpi setting within Blender.