Texture paint lock up

I have sculpted an alien head (sorry site will not allow the .blend file upload). I then move to texture paint, add a simple uv map and add a paint slot. With the first stroke of the brush it locks up, 2 minutes later the processor light on motherboard comes on and stays in that state until a system reset.

Has anyone seen or experienced this issue? If so please tell me how you overcame it.

Thank you for your time.

Very Respectfully,
Ball

i’ve experienced this crash before when texturing an un-UVed mesh, also the GUI warning in your picture indicates that you have not UV-ed your mesh.

Iceking,

thank you for your response. Unfortunately this screenshot is not accurate. Before i can begin painting, i have to hit the simple UV button and then I have to choose a color (the button just underneath). After that, I try proceed with the first brush stroke. That is when everything turns bad.

Is there a different UV that I should be using. If so, I would be happy to review any material related to that topic. How did you learn the texturing process? Where can i learn the process?

Thank you again for your time.

Very Respectfully,
Ball

Are you using “rendered” in viewport shading? If so, turn in texture. Are you using a 2.72b version?

I am using 2.72b version as far as “rendered” in viewport shading i am uncertain. How can i tell? I have not been modelling very long.

well, i think the simple UV button would not do it in your case, idk. maybe learn to properly UV a mesh before proceeding.

i texture using a 2d app like gimp. :slight_smile:

Simple UV should not be there after all I’m afraid, or it should do something entirely different. Complex meshes should always be properly unwrappped before painting.

Could the “Add Simple UV” button perform a Smart UV Project instead of just adding a UV map? The layout that method provides is generally paintable, if not at all useful for anything else.

To All,

Thank you for responses. I beleive Iceking and Psy-Fy are on the right track. The simple uv button seems to work when nothing but a cube is present.
Is there some standard cut-off point between simple and complex uv’s? Also, Iceking I would be very happy to learn the way you texture and also how you lay-out complex textures. Do you have any tutorials? If so please link.

Thanks to all,

Ball

To All,

Thank you for responses. I beleive Iceking and Psy-Fy are on the right track. The simple uv button seems to work when nothing but a cube is present.
Is there some standard cut-off point between simple and complex uv’s? Also, Iceking I would be very happy to learn the way you texture and also how you lay-out complex textures. Do you have any tutorials? If so please link.

Thanks to all,

Ball

Improved it by doing a cube unwrap + pack operation. It’s not optimal, not by far, but it should be immediately useful, won’t crash and will use the entire image space. https://developer.blender.org/rBa6a3989617e680327bda2357fe506d86574e2618

Improved it by doing a cube unwrap + pack operation

Useful?
he he , wait and see. Someone will try it on a dyntopo mesh, there will be someone, or a few more… (ignorants)
this is why support topic stands for…