Blender 2.71 Left Click & Emulate 3 button mouse - problem/question

Hi guys,

Not sure if it’s the right topic to post this in, but here it is:

I’ve been using Blender 2.71 for a few months on my laptop for the few months with no trouble, using “LeftClick” to select, and “Alt+LeftClick” to rotate. Right button to place cursor.

Now, I’ve had to reinstall my operating system, so I saved all my blend files out, did the reinstall, downloaded Blender 2.71 again from the “past releases” section, and straight away, I wanted to set it up the way it was. Much surprise, it won’t let me check “Emulate 3 Button Mouse” when I have left click selected.

So, just out of curiosity, since it is the exact same Blender version as the one I had no trouble having left mouse button checked for selecting objects/faces/verts etc… and alt+left click to rotate around selected, I just wanted to know how this was possible? Did the re-release 2.71 possibly after I donwloaded it and removed this function?!

I can not recall ever customizing the keyboard layout specific to each action/input. So I’m sure all I did was, check left mouse and emulate 3 button mouse. That was it, so how come I can’t do it now in the exact same version?!

Just a bit disorienting as I was used to selecting with the left mouse and I’m on a laptop.

Does anyone by any chance have a copy of 2.71 where it was possible to select both?

The reason I want to use 2.71 is because my game project seemed well messed up when I tried opening it with the latest release…

If anyone has info on how I might be able to set this up please let me know!

You can still select both.
Don’t let the fact bother you that “Emulate 3 Button mouse” gets greyed out as soon as you choose “Select with Left” - you can still check that checkbox afterwards.

So:
a) Click “Select with Left”
b) Check “Emulate…” even though it is greyed out

I think Blender does this to point out that this combination can not be recommended without restrictions, as some important keyboard/mouse commands (loop select, e. g.) will stop working and need manual tweaking.