What is the best way to keep add-ons while updating Blender versions?`

So, for whatever reason I have been sticking with 2.70. It’s time to move on. Can any one describe the best way to migrate all of my existing addons/scripts/what-have-yous to the new version?

Here are two things I am unsure of:

1. When I have installed scripts/whatevers through the User Preferences screen, does Blender copy these to its own script folder, or does it reference them from the folder in which the script was originally located?

2. Keeping in mind the answer to #1 above, if I copy and paste the contents of the scripts/plugins folder (I forget the name, I’m not looking right this second) into my new Blender’s directory, I presume I will still have to go into User Preferences and actually install them, correct? Since I cannot think of anyway to separate out duplicates within the directory itself unless the scripts are identically named…is Blender adept at dealing with duplicate installs and ignoring them?

Thanks

there is an option inside preferences to assign a folder for addons, so find 2.70 addons and use that folder. Blender puts addons and other preferences to shared folder if its installed in the OS, like AppData/Roaming… in Windows or Application Support/Blender in Macos , if it is not then it will be inside the blender folder. (scripts/addons)