Normal map baking question with a given blend file

hey guys,
i am havig alot of problems baking the normals in blender and i want to bake it in blender and dont want to use any other software to generate the normals so my my question here is that i want to bake a simple desk can some one show me how its done because i am having artifacts at the edges…edges seams are shown in my GSL and also in rendering mode … how to deal with it can some one post me a good tutorial how to make good normal map of complex meshes

All i want is to have smooth round corners baked to my low poly model …my high poly model is on first layer and the low poly is on the 2nd layer guys … its a request that please show me how normal map baking is done perfectly without the use of another party software…

and ooh please give me some solutions i tried to find it on youtube but didnt find any usefull stuff all i got was the basic cube normal baking so please post a good tutorial that u guys recommend as soon as possible…

Attachments

blenderaskquestion.blend (1020 KB)

1. Check out this tutorial.
  1. Search Youtube for “Cycles Normal Baking with Cage” for a very comprehensive Normal baking tutorial.
    And here is the link to file, which the author is using in demonstration.
    https://developer.blender.org/diffusion/BL/browse/trunk/lib/tests/cycles/bake_normal.blend

On side note. There is too much extra geometry in your low poly Table model. instead of using normal maps for it. remove extra geometry, and add bevel to corners.

Edit : Here is an update of your file. Low poly with lots of geometry removed, bevel added, without any normal map.
Currently, 249 faces, and can still go down.
http://www.pasteall.org/blend/32447

Hi.
Image is worth… Here we have one.

I assume normalmap can be baked using Blender renderer, no need for Cycles here. Workflow as follows:

• Have High poly and Low poly objects available in one spot (same coords) and visible for render. They can be on different layers but you have to Shift switch on both. No lights needed.
  • Set Smooth shading for both objects.
  • Low poly needs to be unwrapped and new image assigned to it ( unwrap should be visible on image background in UV editor window, no checker pattern there). High poly doesn’t need to be unwrapped.
  • Render panel, Bake - check Selected to Active, bake dropdown - Normals. Shift-Select objects accordingly - High, then Low so that it becomes active selection. Can be easily done in Outliner if objects are properly named.
  • Press Bake button.

If normals are ok on objects and they do not differ much cookie should be baked ok. If there is something green-ish in the baked Tangent normalmap - check normals first, then see if the bias value can help. Bias can cause clipping of the normalmap - some details are lost.
Concerning UVs - in general taking all UV (image) space is the best. A lot of free space - waste of precious pixels, useful information amount in file is less as is quality of the map (same goes to the textures). Here in the file waste is quite high.

@dukejib
thanks for the link and also thanks for helping me out …
[URL="/u/eppo
eppo
thankyou somuch man your solution works the only thing i was doing wrong was that i was baking the low poly without setting it to smooth shading thats why i was getting alot ugly normal baking dude just one thing more

Attachments