Texture Paint

I have a dog I have been working on… Into Edit mode for the head… did an unwrap of the head, did ‘add new image’ unchecked alpha, gave it a name, selected white as color background… clicked OK… went into Texture paint and painted black spots on the dog… they showed up in Texture paint, but when Render done, shows nothing… did a flip normals and that makes a mess out of it… the ears turn black… Things are not looking too good the more I try to fix… Am trying to create a white dog with some black spots… I’ve retried it and retried it and can’t seem to get anything to work… not sure what I am missing at this point… It also changed the black part of the eyes and the black nose to white ?

thank you
BarbaraMidge 102914.blend (874 KB)

The texture is not included in the file.
The main faces of the head use Material.007. This has no texture applied. The texture is applied to Material.004 which is used for the nose and eyes. Assign the correct material to the correct faces

It was on the file… I created the texture on uv/image editor and then saved it and opened the image in the Texture area…I’ve done others, but for some reason, this one is not working… don’t know why…
I opened the file to see what happened… the texture file is there… here is image of it… I open the image and save it as I have with others… this particular one just not showing when renedered…

thanks
Barbara

Did you do as I suggested and apply the correct material to the correct faces
Go to textured view as well

this is the rendered image…

thank you
Barbara

Pack the texture into the blend file before you save it (File / External Data menu) then attache the file again

Am trying to create again, but now, when I set up the new image using white as BG… the head is unwrapped…material is white, uv/image editer the new image color set up is white… white shows in the uv/image editer… dog show white in Edit mode… soon as I switch to Texture paint mode, the head turns black… and in the materials panel, the material shows White, the preview ball shows black…
How do I pack Texture into Blend file… I thought when I added the texture to it and saved it, it was part of the file?
sorry… am new working with Blender and the cat I did and the other dog I did worked fine and no issues, this one giving me problem and not sure how to fix or why it is doing it…
thanks appreciate your help
Barbara

Here is a pic of the material being white in edit mode, in the preview window, ball showing black …and in UV image editor, the image is white with the unwrapped mesh… the other pic, can see it goes to black when go into Texture paint… THe preview window turned black after going to texture paint…

thanks
Barbara

How do I pack Texture into Blend file… I thought when I added the texture to it and saved it, it was part of the file?
The texture is only on your local computer hard drive so no-one else can see it when you link to your blend file. At the top of the blender interface use the File / External Data menu and select pack into .blend. Then save your blend file.

I suggest you delete all your materials as you are confusing assigning the correct materials to the correct faces. Add a material, paint your texture, add the texture to your material. If mapped to UVs and viewport set to textured and shading set to GLSL (Properties panel, shortcut N under shading tab) you should see both the texture in the viewport and when you render.

I deleted material AND Texture and added new white material… head was unwrapped in Edit move, added the new image to UV/Image Editor… it showed white with the unwrapped mesh showing… soon as I went into Texture paint, it changed to Black… went into texture thinking I would just add the old image of the painted head I had… and found it auto added a texture that was black… I did not add… don’t know why or how… so when I went into Texture paint, the head was turning black… I deleted it… added back in my image… and after about 10 times, it finally worked…
thank you…
Barbara

sorry… just saw the packing files by File/External Data when I do that, it says image will be lost is that okay?
anyway… image now appearing like it should… do don’t know what happened…
appreciate your response…
have a good evening
Barbara

Thanks Richard… just saw your other message… appreciate it…
Barbara

2.72 texture painting needs more nurturing than previous versions because of paint slots that get bound with material and material textures. There’s also image paint mode that gives the previous functionality back

Images you create/paint on still need to be saved separately. Make sure the material texture gets updated and if not, reload after saving the image file on the disk. It also needs to be saved on the disk before you can pack it.