Animated/Controllable eye textures?

Hello all :slight_smile:

I am new to these forums, I’ve been learning blender on and off for around a year but I am absolutely level 1 at 3D modelling.

I have a question and I have no idea how to ask it. Hopefully this comes under texturing? I want to know how I can create eyes for 3D characters that can animate (blink etc) and also if they were controllable then that would be a plus (like if you could move the pupil based on switching out the eye texture for a different image with the pupil looking somewhere else).

I have tried to google this but I always find tutorials based on 3D eyes. What I’m looking to do is have 2D eyes, perhaps they are a texture? I’ve also heard a bit about Decals but I’m not sure whether this is the solution.

The outcome for this would be to use the character with 2D animated eyes in a game (unity). The best example I can give for what I mean is the eyes on Link in The legend of Zelda:Windwaker. If you are familiar with this technique, even if you know what it’s called that would be a great help so I know what to learn. If anyone has any links to a good tutorial I have overlooked that would be even better!

Here is where I am with modelling if anyone is interested:

-imagine that with blinking/animated eyes, that is what I am aiming for.

Thanks loads!
:slight_smile:

You can do it using the AnimAll add-on to animate your UV coordinates over an image file containing various eye positions. just remember that in the graph editor you’ll need to set your interpolation mode to ‘constant’ or it will look very weird. You could make a moveable eyeball texture in much the same way. I am not sure if you could do both of those things at once though.

Thanks for your reply Modron!

That sounds fairly complicated but I think I understand the concept of it. I will look into the AnimAll add-on :slight_smile:

Thanks alot!