Converting Nurbs to Mesh.

-Here, I have converted a NURBS curve that I have manipulated
into a mesh, and joined it with a place mesh, and given them
a diffuse material with a purple colour.

-When I convert a NURBS curve to a mesh, does each mesh square
section have real curvature, or is it only a direct, straight line between
all vertices, being an approximation only?

-In Blender 2.72, where is the set background image from file area?

Attachments

apex.blend (630 KB)

Hi,
Created from scratch or converted from curve, a mesh is still the same thing: vertices linked by flat edges that form flat faces (except for non-flat polygons). It is the subdivision and the shading that gives the feeling of a curvature.

The Background image box is in the right panel of the 3D view window. Check “Background image”, clic “add image” and “open”.

I am in Blender 2.72

The Background image box is in the right panel of the 3D view window. Check “Background image”, clic “add image” and “open”.

-I have done this with a *.jpg image. However, I can’t get the image to appear in my render. How do I fix that?

Created from scratch or converted from curve, a mesh is still the same thing: vertices linked by flat edges that form flat faces

-I notice that there a mid surface normals on my mesh (converted from a curved NURBS). Is the apparent continuous curve on my render image a result of high quality shading, or does the <f12>
renderer take mid mesh normals into accoount to generate a real curve in memory, or not?

-I have done this with a *.jpg image. However, I can’t get the image to appear in my render. How do I fix that?
The background option is to add reference images to aid in modelling, not for rendering. To add to a rendering add a texture to the world or to a background plane or use the compositor to add a background image

-As a reply to #4, I have attempted to do this, however it will not include
an updated background image in my <f12> render.

Given Blender 2.72, what do I need to do to associate a texture with
the world?

Depends on what image are you going to use - not distorted, flat, like photo, equirectangular image or spherical one (last two usually so called High Dynamic Range Images).
Flat photo - i’d suggest using image mapped on plane and adjusted to fit the camera view. Could use wide panorama image mapped on the Cylinder e.g.
Two with spherical distortions - Click on World panel at first and then on Texture panel where you add your image and set the influence - Blender will use this texture for the World then. This was for BI renderer setup.
If use Cycles nodes this will be Image texture going to Background Color input and using appropriate Mapping or Environment texture.

I know how to set a texture file on a plane. It’s the general background image
“behind everything” that I don’t understand how to enable for my render.
I’ve gone to Texture\Image and selected my file.

Click on World panel at first and then on Texture panel where you add your image and set the influence

Where in Blender 2.72 do I “set the influence” to enable it?

The “general background image” will not be rendered. It only appears in orthographic view when you choose the corresponding orientation. It is used for modelling over a reference image, not for rendering.

It you want to introduce a background to your render you could 1) use a HDRI texture (which can also create a realistic lighting) or 2) render your scene over transparent background and then introduce the background at compositing.

Like so:

Then:

And finally

Menu line - File - Import…Import images as planes.

Hope this help.

Blender is so amazing…Puff puff

Tor

This

Import images as planes

is close, but not quite it. I don’t want my image on a plane,
but a general, non-descript background, jpg image file
which is a flat background no matter where the camera turns.

How do I achieve this?

you could add a world sky or angular map !

happy bl

Yes, but what do I simply do to link to an external image file?

find a good HDRI image for the world

or other sites!

I think there is also a nodes et up available at this site for cycles

and Elub site has something for hdri nodes

happy cl

Can you link a file from some website e.g. while you work on it (use it) in photo editor?
If you mean using URI to determine location of image - no, you need to enter file name and location on the local HD. Drag and drop functionality also is available only over local resources.

-I have got the settings done the way they should, according to my image file,
to Just have a universal, view from everywhere, default background.
I see how you can have the file externally, or written within a *.blend file.

However, when I fress <f12>, my render simply won’t put it in.
What am I missing out to enable it for rendering?

Attachments

Background image are not shown in render only in viewport!

happy bl

Settings you have shown relate to modeling aid images which never get into the final render.
Image files, their locations are listed/registered in blender and image file itself can be saved-packed in the .blend file. Yes, in that regard, it’s internal image then.

What you want likely is image which is set to be influencing World settings. If image is set as a World texture it is rendered. You could use Cylinder or Sphere with texture mapped on as your background also.

If image is set as a World texture it is rendered.

-What and whereabouts do I do that?

If you use Cycles, here is the procedure:

1. Select World parameters and “Use nodes”
  2. Select “Image Texture” as a color
  3. Open you image
  4. Select whatever you want as a texture coordinate in vector. “Window” will render your image as background that fit you whole window.

You’d better use a plane image or HDRI, as already cited.
End.