How do I control the center of rotation of view when in edit mode?

Lets say I am zoomed in on a mesh and working on a face or edge or vertex and I want to rotate with the middle mouse button…is there a way to set preferences so that the center of that rotation will be around the last selected point, face or edge or where I last clicked the mouse?

Thanks for any help with this.

User preferences -> interface has two options, auto depth which enables you to rotate roughly on where the cursor is when you start rotating. Then there’s rotate around selection which does what it says on the tin. Rotate around selection overrides auto depth but that’s what I prefer.

Rotate around selection…perfect. Funny I could not see that when looking it over. Thank you so much for that tidbit.

In your numeric part of the keyboard you will have on the right bottom part a del/. key, when you press it, blender will zoom into your selection as well as locking it to that selection which will enable you to rotate easily around your selection. Learn to use this shortcut quickly and you will have no problem navigating through your mesh selection in the future.

Thanks Ognjen, I will try that today…much appreciated!