Book Cover Distortion

Hey everone :slight_smile: I recently started teaching myself Blender with the help of the internet and have to say that this application is really awesome. To get a good understanding of the software I’m currently trying out some basic stuff and one of it is rigging simple game assets.

I really hope that you can help me with my „noobish“ concern, because Google and Youtube won’t let me find the solution.

I want to create a simple low poly (and I mean really low) book game asset that opens and closes itself and flies around through the air. So I created this low poly book cover and added three bones to it and parented them as well as painted the weights. When I now rotate the bones and want to open the book there are some strange distortions happening. Is it because the mesh is too low poly? Would there be a better solution for my problem than bones?

I added a screenshot of the distortion below as an attachment.

Really appreciate any help. Thanks :slight_smile:
Best regards,
Ralvar

Attachments

Why does you armature look squashed? perhaps that has something to do with it.

Thanks for your reply Modron! I scaled the bones to fill the object a little bit better but unfortunately the squeezing does not effect the distortion. Tried out both :frowning:

maybe try something like this: