Rate topology and overall aesthetics

Hi, this is my first attempt on modelling a character from head to toe. I want to go trough the whole pipeline (modelling, face- and body rig, animating). This is my current status: Right now, I am nearly done modelling (only ears, teeth and tongue left). As you can see I am going for an cartoonish art-style. Please tell me what you think about the topology and the overall aesthetics. Thanks.

https://sketchfab.com/models/86f1231dd8704572853a1a2d5c82267f

[ATTACH=CONFIG]341167[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]341168[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]341169[/ATTACH]

Yeah sorry I am having a hard time adding pictures :smiley: . I just made an account on sketchfab, so i can upload the whole model.

I’m sorry too. Could’ve checked the thread later. I keep forgetting that messages from new users with under 10 posts go to moderation and show up with a delay. Posts just show up before and after posting myself, after they’ve approved.

You want to watch out for 4 edges coming together at the midline on a “mirrored” object, because when it is mirrored, that will give you a “6 point” star. Those aren’t good for texturing or deformations. You have two, but the good thing is that they’re both connected to another issue. One thing I learned with faces is that you want a “mask” loop running around both of the eyes. If you rip each of the points I’m talking about and fill it in, I think you should be able to get the “mask loop” and fix the 6 point stars at the same time.

Actually, now that I’m looking at it, I think you need to rotate the edge that goes into the 6 pointer on the nose before ripping to get it to flow right.

Thanks for your help guys! I am getting quite frustrated with my mesh… so I am thinking of starting over and paying more attention to topology

Don’t get frustrated. It’s not an easy task and you’ve done good job so far. You could finalize the forms/shapes and then if you’re not happy with the topology, you could use the form and do a retopology pass over it. That at least should convince you that you didn’t make something wrong or badly, just haven’t finished it yet.

Also don’t let negative feedback frustrate you. Getting negatives pointed out as critique is to help improve the model. You can then judge that feedback yourself and make changes as appropriate.

Getting just negative feedback on critique section doesn’t mean there’s nothing to like - Getting it that wrong would be hard with this subject matter, actually. It’s a female character which by default is cool to male audience. You’ve also exaggerated areas that appeal to them (waistline, breasts). Maybe a cliché, but you’ve understood this and implemented those changes well.

That was my attempt to say that I like the shapes without sounding creepy. I also like the hair.

Thanks for your positive feedback :slight_smile: I was expecting negative critique since this is the first human body I tried to model from scratch. Until now I only modelled some faces and some furniture and other non-organic things. I think it’s quite a good idea to start over again instead of sticking to one model to long. This way I get routine and become more intuitive

Here is what I’ve acomplished so far:

No reason to start over, its close. Put a quick, basic and temporary rig to see how she moves.