New adobe technology

Don’t know if any of you already saw this, but it’s pretty cool!

How do you think this is going evolve?

Thanks for sharing this… I wonder when this will be available…not sure if it is still in a beta stage, but it is pretty cool.

For those who don’t like renting your software, I’m sure it will be in the GIMP by 2050 or so.

It seems like they’re really starting to put their cloud money for good use, if they keep pulling out these types of things then I fail to see why anyone would still accuse them of being greedy other than for the purpose of being completely irrational.

It’s a lot like Autodesk, they’re starting to pull more rabbits out of their hat as well which may end up silencing those opposed to Software as a Service (you pay a premium, but you get premium quality tech in return and rapidly advancing tech at that).

This is confusing me… What does this have to do with lux render?

They simply used it as renderer, maybe to better control the lights and as you can see from the video it has been modified for the placing of objects, so its open source nature helps.

It’s likely that the other tech. they use such as converting a photo to a 3D scene and instant compositing with 3D objects is proprietary though. They will not have to open the code at all if they decide to have the interface with Luxcore as the license is Apache2.

Luxrender itself is likely not doing the actual compositing and conversion, so the nature here is not entirely an open source one.

Of course, but as they needed a renderer, and also to modify it, a free open source and versatile renderer as Luxrender is a good choice

I remember this demo from years ago:

Nice to see they took notice of that guy’s idea. Sort of like the stabilization video from a few years back that went on to become the warp stabilizer. I believe his site is still up, so anybody can upload their own photo and try it themselves!

i don’t see it evolving into much more than it is in the video…
the end result images he was showing it being used for are mostly just going to be eye candy. basically just a quick way to photoshop things into an image without having to go through the trouble of getting a photo in the correct perspective and correctly lit to match another photo. even so, without high enough quality models it will still look out of place the same way as when the perspective or lighting of something photoshopped in is slightly off

it isn’t really going to help in Arch Viz (unless people start using it to add in furniture after creating a render of an empty room… though really why swap programs when people who do that likely already have their own library of furniture models?)

also, the companies who are doing the floorplans are slowly but surely swapping to software that builds the 3d models as part of the process to create the floor plans. Autodesk’s Revit does that and they keep a database filled with 3d models of actual purchasable items (furniture, appliances, decorations, lights, windows, etc) that can be placed into the floorplans along with cameras for beauty renders of the design.

it’s could be used for demoing possible redecorations of existing rooms provided that 3d models of actual purchasable items are available in a format it will read but it certainly won’t help with a remodel where several walls might be removed since a photo isn’t going to have any data to show what’s behind a wall.

the vimeo link zeke faust posted seemed a bit bitter to me though it’s the same thing basically. might just be my own personal bias against adobe though…

it’d be neat to have something of the quick and dirty model building capabilities of this in blender… or even just to match a camera angle and other certain camera settings just by drawing straight lines along edges of things in an image.

i know we can use the camera tracking functions to create a point cloud to help with recreating parts of a background from a video but cameras don’t move in every shot so being able to pull something like that out of a still to allow for quickly matching even just the perspective (if not the lighting too) would be useful as well.

Check out BLAM

This was demoed a couple of years back at Adobe labs, meaning no money from the cloud helped build this. I am not really sure why they decided to suddenly up their game with innovative tools now that they have their cloud software but this or any of the other things that they recently released have not been “made possible” because of the cloud.

Results were actually pretty bad. Only those red balls were reasonably normal. The perspective wasn’t right, nor the geometries.
I really don’t understand why were they clapping, there was absolutely nothing not only special, but even remotely good (except maybe those red balls, but i think that’s just an exception) in this demo. Those glasses were rendered as if from 2 decades from past. It could only work on absolute beginner in 2d/3d field, or on some clueless manager from some arch-vis company with his client sitting next to him telling what to do (move that bed to right, make it darker :slight_smile: )

While thisdemo is on a whole another level.

This is the same Kevin Karsch who helped build the Adobe tech; and the same demo linked by Zeke Faust a few posts above. :slight_smile:

Yep. I wonder if their cloud has “motivated” them to finally allow the middle mouse button to pan around the image…

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/how_to_make_your_picture_editing_faster_idea
http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/cs6_use_middle_mouse_button_as_hand_tool

http://www.3dbuzz.com/forum/threads/134810-Photoshop-Middle-mouse-button-as-hand-tool

I have CS6 and that’s the last version I will ever use. For middle mouse pan I just use AutoHotKey. Just curious if anyone here knows if middle mouse pan is in any of the cloud versions yet?

Kinda make you wonder how many tools and tech they have sat on over the years.

In other words …those who use blender is wasting their time then? This reminds me of the trolls who wanted to convince everybody they needed to shell out $2,500 for Wacon’s Cintiq tablet. Until Yiynova launched their product that cost only $500 and provided a very suitable alternative. What are those software worth…really…the answer is …whatever you’re willing to pay for them.

I’m in no way suggesting Autodesk doesn’t make good product. But it’s just a shame that you’re here essentially rooting for them …for free…when they didn’t even ask you? What else are us …evil …average people getting away with? Are we paying too little for our cable bill …or phone billl …and screwing the “poor”…rich guys…sheesh!

You need to earn the big bucks for anything Adobe. Its not worth that much money. Now you got to rent it? Its not as near as far ahead as it once was and not it cost so much more? Many products here lived a long time off a old reputation.

i hope it isn’t in gimp by 2050 unless they’ve run out of worthwhile things to implement by then. i’m more of a krita user anyway since i’m more into image authoring than image editing. either way, i’d be sure to find the feature just as useless in a 2d application then as i do now.
sure it’s flashy and has something of a “cool” factor but it’s use cases are going to be very much limited to what they showed in the demo… and i’m not really into photoshopping furniture into photos of empty rooms or adding fake clutter to counter tops and tables in a photo. thanks to Zeke Faust linking http://www.blendernation.com/2012/01/23/blam-geometry-camera-matching-add-on/ i could do that fairly easily in blender if i ever really wanted to.

i can also tell you i’m certainly not going to empty out a room to take a photo in order to try and plan some redecorating.
nor am i going to animate a 3d model to fit into a photo environment just to open that model up in a different program when i very likely had to match perspective and everything in the photo to ensure that when i animated that model to fit into that photo it didn’t have any problems fitting into the photo in the first place and could just composite and render it all out without having to swap to another program at all.

i don’t know that i’d say for sure that the wacom cintiq alternatives are for sure “very suitable” yet since a lot of them i’ve seen still didn’t have ips panels in them and weren’t near as likely to work with any given software (or on linux in my case) i tried a huion tablet on a windows 8 laptop a while back and any time i installed the drivers it would completely disable the laptop’s built in keyboard and it didn’t play well with all of my favored software (not photoshop)

that said, Wacom’s build quality has dropped massively over the years. things like usb ports being poorly attached and breaking loose easily as well as even the cintiq companion hybrid (maybe companion too) having battery/charger problems that end up making it a paperweight because it just won’t charge itself. wacom hasn’t done anything to fix that problem but still charges people a fee to replace it (“shipping”) with a version that’s going to end up having the same problem within a few months.
honestly that’s ridiculous based on the price they charge for things.

i want to like wacom because i’ve got an intuos3 that i’ve had for about 8 years and it’s still working like a champ. i’ve had to replace the drawing surface and buy new nibs for it but aside from that it’s always worked like new. that said their new stuff doesn’t inspire confidence that i could use it anywhere near as long as i’ve used my intuos3.

even though i want to like wacom i do have to say that wacom tablets are definitely one of those products that are surviving off of an old reputation and the alternatives are indeed getting closer and closer to them… while wacom is also getting closer and closer to it’s alternatives.
right now the biggest thing the alternatives need to work on is their drivers and configuration… because even though wacom’s drivers have apparently been spotty lately the alternative’s drivers/software still aren’t up to wacom’s ever lowering standards.

Regarding Cintiq and Yiynova, you are comparing apples and oranges. Ask the professionals. Not having a battery to operate your stylus means a lot to your fingers and wrist. Also glass thickness. And pressure. And build quality (my Graphire 2 from 2001 still works). Its like F1 and your average car. Both will bring you from point A to B. But if you need certain requirement, there is a reason why F1 is priced at its price point.

I’m NOT saying that Cintiq shouldn’t be priced lower - maybe they go with that price because they can - but its a totally different beast compared to yiynova. My 2 cent.

Also ‘software worth’ is a complex subject. Blender isn’t actually free, other people are donating (time and/or money) to make it free for everyone. Face Robot changed from $150,000 (or somewhere around that) to being included for free. doesn’t change the fact that it was one of the best face rig at the time.

Also, using blender is not ‘wasting time’ per se. But looking into context, it could be. Employers maybe not willing for re-train. You also locked out of plug-in that could save time. So in the end, which one is more expensive - time or money. Some people spend cash on software / plug-in because it save time. Just like spending money on textures / models instead of building out your own.

I’ll stop here as I doesn’t want to derail the topic.

Regarding Cintiq and Yiynova, you are comparing apples and oranges. Ask the professionals. Not having a battery to operate your stylus means a lot to your fingers and wrist. Also glass thickness. And pressure. And build quality (my Graphire 2 from 2001 still works). Its like F1 and your average car. Both will bring you from point A to B. But if you need certain requirement, there is a reason why F1 is priced at its price point.

I’m NOT saying that Cintiq shouldn’t be priced lower - maybe they go with that price because they can - but its a totally different beast compared to yiynova. My 2 cent.

The best analogy I could give here would be like someone trying to convince others that they really need a $50,000 car to drive to and from work everyday. I have used both equipment myself, the Yinova have bridged the gap Wacom had over the other small attempts at competing products. The battery in the Yinova stylus only reacquires changing and it lasts a long time, also Yiynova provides 2048 levels of pressure sensitivity. The glass thickness can easily get accustomed to, and it makes for a better build product that …lasts longer with rugged use…and generates a better viewing canvas than the cheesey material Wacom uses.

“You’re not saying the Wacom shouldn’t be priced lower” …LOL …dude their product is over $2000 more than the competition!! Step back and look at the situation, in the end all you have a dumb board that really must be tied to your computer. It was nice when that technology first hit the market, but after a decade nothings really changed!

Also ‘software worth’ is a complex subject. Blender isn’t actually free, other people are donating (time and/or money) to make it free for everyone. Face Robot changed from $150,000 (or somewhere around that) to being included for free. doesn’t change the fact that it was one of the best face rig at the time.

Weak argument here …I download blender and maybe buy a training video, book or a T-shirt. You’re comparing that to the $1,000’s I must shell out for Maya?

Also, using blender is not ‘wasting time’ per se. But looking into context, it could be. Employers maybe not willing for re-train. You also locked out of plug-in that could save time. So in the end, which one is more expensive - time or money. Some people spend cash on software / plug-in because it save time. Just like spending money on textures / models instead of building out your own.

If your employer demands learning Maya then you really have no decision or choice here do you?

The original argument was trying to defend the dollars spent for other software…and you’re making this argument not in Autodesk website …but here in the Blender forum. I really doubt the people here are using Blender when their work demand they use Autodesk etc.

The real issue here, to me, is more “lazy” tech from Adobe, and what I mean by that is, you’ll see more people compositing things into photos without any idea how it’s done or what it should really look like. Those shadows in the living room part were just plain wrong, and armchair “artists” will come out of the woodwork and say “look at me… I made this”, when in reality, all they did was push a button.

I don’t have a problem with these tools, really, but it’s like people selling paintings without ever having taken a class on color theory or even a basic drawing course. And no, you don’t have to take a class to be an artist, the point is now any 12-year-old with a pirated copy of Photoshop can start putting metal balls into a photo of his back yard. Jeez – I sound really jaded. Sorry.