Need Help Creating Telescopic Rig

Hello,

I have a very basic understanding of creating rigs; I am stuck with a current model i am working on.

Recently, I have found a online series called RWBY and have wanted to start creating working models of community made weapons. The weapons are two or three combined, the best example is a scythe and .50 cal combined into the handle, and the all fold and collapse to smaller “travel” forms.

The part I’m stuck on is creating a rig for the telescopic parts of the model, in theory i’m thinking of a slider but i don’t know where to begin.

I’ve attached a .blend with the background image packed in, as an example of the handle. https://db.tt/0j4tEsJQ

To extend and retract the Handle and the Rod end. I would use shapekeys.

In your blend I joined all objects together in to one. I added 2 shapekeys, one for the handle and one for the rod. I extruded the rod end under the end cap to form the rod extension. Blend file attached.

Attachments

RWBY Weapon 2.blend (733 KB)

Thank you Pte Jack for your solution, I kept thinking I would have to use bones.

Thanks Pte Jack, I kept thinking I had to do something with bones

Looking at my blend file, I should have extruded the rod to the base of the end cap before applying the shape key, there is a bit of a lag and a gap there when you apply the shapekey… (Sorry about that, Chief!!)