Orckish warrior

Hi all,

As I’m done with my creature, I decide to start a new character.
I’m goal is just to make it better… I think character production is what I like the most.

It will be weaponised, armored, I tend to make it with the highest level of detail I can and will try a realistic render style.
As blender 2.72 really help with corrective/deformation shapekey, I think I will really push muscle deformation and add dynamic wrinkles deformations on its face.

For the time being, here is the result after few hours of dyntopo.

Hope you’ll like it.

Updated Thumbnail

Attachments

Impressive sculpt so far. It reminds me a bit of your last project because of the big hands and arms, but that isn’t bad at all.

Thanks…
It’s done on purpose.
from most of the concepts and references I’ve sutdied, Orcks have long arms and shorter legs…
It’s very weird when sculpting because you allways think something is wrong.

But for the time being, I like my dyntopo… so I will continue this way :slight_smile:

I have to say I was a big fan of your previous creature creation and this is just as brilliant. I aspire to be in the same league as you one day !

Hey Danny,

Thanks, from what I’seen from you’re work you’re not that far.
I encourage you to work with as much anatomic references as you can and also, do not hesitate to slightly increase volume shapes.
What I mean is that I allways try to make my sculpt volume pretty contrasted as the more you get further the more it gets polished.

And it’s easier to smooth things down in an advanced status than increasing them.

Some Update.

I’ve 2 evening of free time so I will try to get as further as possible.
All detail sculpt are done with Dyntopo level.
Next levels will be with multiresolution and bump texture

I will start sculpting the equipement now

Here is a little update.

Still needs a lot of accessories like wrist plates, a pant and 2 one handed heavy axes before I start working on body retopology and sculpt accessories details.

I like accessories blocking for the time being, let me know what you think.
clipping on the right leg is due to the underlining boot t as is symetrise, need to make some tweaking once mirror applied.

He starts to look like a warrior :slight_smile:

These big shoulder pads are en vogue in character design, nowadays, but I always feel they must be very unhandy. I like the asymmetry of his accessories, but will he use a shield with his left arm if everything, which is protective, is mounted on his right side? Just thinking loud and maybe this thoughts are just too much real life focused :slight_smile:

I’ve allways been a big BLIZZARD fan till the very first warcraft.
When I was like 12 or something, I was reproducing (trying at least) the game illustration with coal pen…
I’ve quited playing game few years ago as it is too time consuming and didn’t dive into the latest stuff like WOW or starcraft2…
But I oftenly go to blizzard website to see what’s new… So yes, my character may have pretty big equipement and strange proportions but I’m just trying to catch up this kind of style…

Only thing is that I don’t want it to be too tough but wanna keep some agility as I want him to do aerial stuff in its further animation :slight_smile:

BTW Minoribus, thanks for your kind words and wize advises… I’m kinda watching sometime what you’re doing, totatly crazy and so masterised :slight_smile:

Here is part of the rytopo… my back is kinda painfull so I will stop and continue later…

All modeling and UV maps are ready.
All object are now loaded in Zbrush and ready for advanced sculpting.
Some pieces were sculpted in blender with multiresolution modifier and then export in Zbrush and subdivision level have been reconstructed.
If you want to know more about this process, you can find some tips in the guide I’ve recently posted here :
https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?cid=FBCA8998E1B17AE1&resid=FBCA8998E1B17AE1!145&app=WordPdf&authkey=!AAyMXIyZR49QPW4

looks nice , all thou , make him bigger !! :slight_smile:

I want to keep him relatively “slim” as my goal is to make an animation where his movements are more ninja style than pure orckish grunt.

Wow thats a cool model good luck with the rest ,
thankyou for the blender to zbrush with subdivisions ,iv been trying
this for a long time my way was to export with no sub d i had to resculpt and that was shit
iv just tested your way and works a treat ,thank you again .

love your work

Thanks for your feedback.
Really appreciated

Sculpting the body parts

I’ve exported the normal map to Blender and was pretty disappointed of the result untill I’ve found some important options to be enabled :

This image is basic GLSL viewport.
The normal map react too extremely and there are obvious seems (see the forhead).

In the texture, you have to enable Normal map option and with some tweaking you’ll get a nice result.

To also fix this problem in Cycles, you have to set Non colour data to your image texture node.

I’ve figured the problem of banding on exported maps from Zbrush.
When creating secondary or primary UVs in Blender you MUST make sure that all the vertex are on the UV canvas.

When making specific UVs (currently face and arms for secondary muscle normal) I usualy get rid of other part just puting them outside the UVs canvas but when imported in Zbrush, its map generator doesn’t like it at all.

So keep a small space in a corner, reduce unused UVs coordinate to a minimum and keep them there.
you won’t meet the bending anymore.

Sculpting the first weapon is nearly done.
I’m pretty happy with the result. I wanted something that was roughtly forged to fit my character background.

I’m done with sculpting.
Here are some Glsl viewport shots.
I try to limit the use of subsurf and displacement modifier as the memory used is already gone crazy.
I will now proceed with texture painting…it will be looooonnnnng

Texture Painting in progress…