Wine Glass (Glass Shader) Critique Needed

Hey!
I’ve been experimenting with the glass/gloss shader recently, and have made a small scene to help with my experiments (see image below). The wineglass is the primary focus of the scene.

Basically, I’ve been trying to figure out how to set-up my lights so the reflections in the wine glass look interesting and fairly realistic.

The two pictures above show how I’ve set-up my scene. The two white planes and the background image are emission lights. I’ve also put some point lamps in the scene. The hope was that the point lamps will be reflected in the glass and make my glass reflections look more realistic (however, only the wine bottle seems to be reflecting them, and not the wine glass).

Also, I have used a HDRI environment map (set at 0.050 strength) to provide some extra (but subtle) reflections.

If the forum could provide me with some suggestions on how I could maybe improve the look of my scene or the glass/gloss shaders, it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Too dark, it’s like looking at pitch. Do you have any subsurf modifier by the way.

Is the glass shader color set to default?

The default color is slightly grey,
Try changing it to completely white
Also tweak the lights a bit, The scene looks a bit dark.

The shaders on the wine bottle are quite good. You definetly succeeded with those.

I would skip the white plane, and replace the ‘rest of the room’ with a very rough model of what would really be there.

For example, place modelled (rough) light fixtures to match those in the background photo across the rest of where the room would use them. Add walls and a ceiling to enclose the room. Then I would perhaps put a door in the same direction that you have the white area light, with HDRI outside it. This will give many individual reflections on the glass, and still give the nice slab of light down the left side. To get the same overall look the doorway would need to be two stories high, perhaps an atrium or hotel entry.

It may also help to do a very rough model of the bar behind the glass, using the image only to provide the detail of the bottles above the bar. This will allow a bit more flexibility in the angles you use.

Hope that helps.

matt

The wine bottle looks too small. You may make it bigger or the glass smaller.
If its measurements are correct, than it is cause of the thickness of the rim of the glass.

Hey I agree with all the comments about adding more light.
Here is an article that might be useful for fine tuning the wine glass material: http://adaptivesamples.com/2013/10/19/fluid-in-a-glass/