Issue with baking a Displacement map

Hello there everyone! I hope you are doing well!

I am having an issue with baking a displacement map. Here´s the workflow:

• I have a high poly model with folds on it that were created with proportional editing pulling the geometry to get the desired look.

• I´d like to create a displacement map that could be applied to the low poly version to get the exact same look without the need for high polygon count.

• I am using the baking method from Selected to Active

• However when I click Bake this is what my displacement map looks like (see pic)

Where are the folds? It looks nothing like a displacement map that could be used to create the exact same look.

I hope someone can help : )

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Attachments

• I´d like to create a displacement map that could be applied to the low poly version to get the exact same look without the need for high polygon count.
    A displacement map also needs a high poly mesh to get the same result as your original

Where is your blend file ? You have not supplied sufficient info so please supply it for review
How was your scene set up when you baked ?
What format was the displacement map ?

Hello there Richard and thanks very much for your reply!

So does that mean that there is no way to achieve these folds without the high polygon count? I have tried normal map but even though it does create the illusion, the surface is still flat. Also, normal map was baked without any problems.

I can´t post blend file as this is a project I wish not to share.

The scene was nothing special really. Just a bunch of models of different poly count in the scene on several layers.

The blank image used for baking was created inside Blender with Alpha unchecked and 32-bit float checked. The resolution was 2500x2500 I think.

I know there is a way to generate a displacement map from multires and I tried it. Even though the map was not blank-gray like the one you can see above, still the results were not good after applying it to the low poly mesh.

So you mentioned that a displacement map also needs a high poly mesh to get the same results.

Does that mean the higher I go with subdividing the low polygon version of the mesh, the more accurate displacement I´ll get when using the map baked from the very high poly version?

If you need the details of the high poly mesh in a lower poly is not better using a normal map?

If you use the displacement map as a bump map on the material of an object, it won’t actually displace the geometry.
So for a bulging effect like that you need to use the image as a ‘displacement’ map, or for using with the Displace modifier, taking care that the object is subdivided enough.

hope it helps a bit,
paolo

Hey there guys!

Mik while the normal map does create the illusion of folds, the geometry remains flat. What I´d like to achieve is the effect of the geometry being pushed forward.

Sourvinos, that was my intention to use the map as a displacement one. The problem as you can see here, is that it is not baking. Any idea why? : )

It’s baking actually, since the map appears grey, it looks just not correct, not normalized maybe.
Second, for the use with a Displace mod the object must be further subdivided by a Subsurf.
Third, for a better effect you should bake a normal map rather than a displacement one, and apply it to the Displace mod.

You asked:

Does that mean the higher I go with subdividing the low polygon version of the mesh, the more accurate displacement I´ll get when using the map baked from the very high poly version?

YES, of course.

Last, as Richard suggested, supply a file.

paolo

Third, for a better effect you should bake a normal map rather than a displacement one, and apply it to the Displace mod.

???
Paolo, this is quite wrong, sorry
What a normal map has to do with the displace mod?

Michalis,
The displace mod has a ‘RGB TO XYZ’ mode for normal maps, and bulges like that, expanding not only along the normal, can rendered better with normal maps.

paolo

No Paolo, awful results as expected.
exr 32 bit B&W baked displacement map, your best option.

The result of rgb normal maps varies with the space in which they were calculated; maybe baked normals are calculated in the wrong space for using with the Displace mod, I don’t know, generally I use other separate maps for displacement, not baked ones, but they usually work.

paolo