3D scifi enviroment

<a href=“http://youtu.be/ExMWZmNP8zI” target="_blank">
https://youtu.be/ExMWZmNP8zI
http://youtu.be/ExMWZmNP8zI

this is a 3D enviroment developed by me, and i’d apreciate your coments, feedback, advises, opinions and so…
About design, spaces, technical matter. Thank you!

Nice. I commented on the video.
You can embed videos in your post here by using the little film strip icon above the reply box.

I’m curious about the dust motes.

Looks nice but someoneelse may give you a few pointers.So that you can improve.

Thanks, lag in the video is due to the recording software. I´ve not found the best tool for screencast still I think. Any sugestion?.
Anyway, the game, when running in blender it works smoothly. Yesterday, also, I made a proof with 3d glasses for my screen, and at least for me, was a very nice experience…

Dust are not planes moving related to camera…, but it´s something similar…It´s made of several (5 or 6) big spheres, strategically positioned, so that diferent scales, directions, and rotations are combined to simulate complex movements, at times looks like spirals, and gives a quite good effect without memory consumption… This was a first aproxiattion, but with a little more work, i think the trick could not be discovered by a regular non expert in 3d user…

The effect achieved with this trick and the space composition&design is what I´m more proud of…

3d solar system builder, English is not my mothertongue, and I don´t understand what do you mean exactly by pointers (does it means advices?) Of course, that´s why I posted it, I want all your experts advices!!.

Thanks Smoking mirror, i posted the video correctly so that video is now embbebed. Thanks.

This is only the 3d scene…As soon as I include characters, refining some objects (the spaceship is very simple and ugly, needs to be rethinked) more game logic or so, I´ll keep updating…

So, the higher your final resolution, the lower your FPS will be, if you have lag,
it will get worse during screencasting,

Are you using 1 large uv atlas? (all textures on 1 sheet?)

Are you using LOD?

Are you loading and unloading meshes depending on what you can see?

it’s best not to have a super long draw distance unless it’s 100% necessary,
(stuff can fade into a background)

also, is everything that can be joined?

I´m ussing several uv atlas per object depending of the texture; i.e.: diffuses or normals (i.e 1024) ->tileables textures with “reset type” UV. While Lightmaps & shadows–> Atlas (4096)

LOD; I was thinking of using multiresobjects for small but more complex and heavy vertex assets. However, still I haven´t implemented them yet.
drawing distance; I´m playing with mist, so I don´t discard shortening the drawing distance If the mist is dense enough. However, I like the effect from the lower part of seeing the skyscrapers fading in the mist, (but still keep seeing them) when the character looks up. SO I´ll tend to use multires more than shortening draw distance…

The buildings models are very very optimized, and really, the “heavy stuff” of the scene is more the bridge, truss, spaceship, pipes, so multires and drawing distance will be aplied more strongly here.

In other terms, about the video capture, I insist that when I run the preview It works fluently. I think my screencasting fluency problem is more in the codec…

Thanks for your comments and time of watching!

This looks very good! Very professional.

My only complaint is the stiff, basic movement on that heliship. But otherwise, it’s really cool!

Thanks, hehe, I agree, the heliship needs a new mesh model, with a cooler design and a hover cool sound… texturing and material.
Thanks for your opinion. I’ll try to update the design before this friday.