Misc texture questions

Okay first things first, I am fairly amateur with gimp texturing. Such that I have no idea how certain things can possibly be made from scratch in gimp, but I would love to learn.

1. I would like to know how to make a realistic hair texture, such as the hair found in final fantasy 13. I know of the cheap hair tricks that work for imvu, or other cartoon things, but I would like to make more realistic hair.
    http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/9/5/6/2/2/4/Lightning_CGI.jpg.jpg

2. In blender’s procedural texture generation, you can find several types of noise, such as a crackle, or a noise that can be used for lava. How could I make this in gimp? I want to know how to make these types of noise in gimp for several types of combinations that can be possible in an external editor, which cannot be done in blender(as far as i know).

3. Effects such as lightning, I assume there are noise generations, and you could apply stretch with more noise to get the flow, but I have no idea how to access these tools in gimp…

Other effects I would love to make: Scattered noise, similar to noise on the roof of a ceiling. Scratches, such as normal scrapes found in most metals. Also i want to know many pattern type effects in general.

1. Shading, such as the normal shading you could find in your jeans, the white patch around the knees. Every-time I try to use some opacity brushing, it just looks sun bleached…

Also, what is the best way to map a seamless texture?