Marble bag

I decided to take a break from Patches so I ended up with a another render of a marble bag

This is a black leather that I had done. I wanted to get the glossiness down some so I did another with a different color and some texture. I am trying to get more of a bump on the bag.

I still need to get the bump to work more and I randomized the marbles and I lost some of the light on marbles so that needs to be fixed.

What do you think of these?

The glass marbles are excellent, nothing to change there. Really nice. The blue marbles feel off, hard to say why. What happens if you keep the color but try glass on those?

The bag can really be improved upon in terms of material. Elbrujodelatribu is a artist here who created some amazing procedural leather cycles material. I would get this blend, and append on of the leather materials and try it on the bag. You may need to go in and change some of the scales. The screenshot on blendswap doesn’t do the materials justice.

I might consider changing the wood table to something a bit more gamier. One of those pinoochle boards, or soemthing with peg hole, I don’t know. There’s so many render out there with a wood texture plus gloss. Think about spicing that up.

I might dial down the lighting some, it seems on the high side.

Very nice .

Leather material on blendswap from elbrujodelatribu

Photox Thanks for the link They are great leather textures. Well this bag does look better.

Wanted to show this to make sure I have set the Leather node correctly… I still need to change the scale on some. I looked at doing a different table.

No that setup won’t quite work. You have the bump output going into the color of the glossy. Now the bump output is technically color information, but it is designed to go into the height input of a bump node. That bump node has a normal output which will go into the normal input of all your bsdfs. Here’s what I would try to do:
Delete the leather node group.
Disconnect the mix shader on the far right from material output.
select all the nodes (Except the material node out) ctl c to copy.

go to file, append, material, and append the ‘leather-brown’ material
go back to the material tab.
change your material (‘material.001’) to ‘leather brown’ by clicking on the little sphere icon to the left of the material name.
see if it renders as leather
if it does, go into the node editor and ctrl v to paste your nodes in.
use the leather bump node, and wire the normal output into the normal input on your diffuse and glossy.
experiment mixing your nodes into it. The simplest way is the just add one more mix shader at the very end and do a 50/50 mix.

Do you know how to go inside node groups? You just select the node group (leather
) and hit tab to see what’s inside. Tab again to go back.

The leather should look like this:

It would look similar to this:

result:

Use the leather material, it looks odd otherwise for the bag

Here is an update:

After adjusting the leather I at least got the leather to show. I need to work on the scale of it. I experimenting with the leather nodes and this is the one that worked for me.

Here is the game board that I created. CC are welcome

If you’re interested, I made some glass marbles like these some time back, you can check them out here if you want http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/69104
otherwise, try finding a hdri image to light the scene. IMO you should always use a hdri to light glass materials to make it look realistic. You can find some free CC-by here http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html

Here is an updat:

Thank you mStuff I used your marbles and just duplicated them to get more thought they were great. I used a HDRI for the background image I do like how this came out.

Photox thank you for the suggestion to use the leather nodes they are awesome. I found one that I liked so I used that one.

CC are always welcome

Looking much better.

The bag seems a too perfectly oval at the opening. I might flatten it out a little and add some waviness.

Leather bag has great improvement. The bump strength seems a little strong I might lower it 10-20%.

The peg board is showing image tiling, you’ll need a larger texture or somehow rework it.

One of the great things about glass is the refraction. Think about lowering the camera and rotating so the that the leather straps on the bag are directly behind the glass marble on the right. And in general more shapes are behind the glass. The distorted/refracted objects behind the glass will give a very nice effect.

Great work.

It’s starting to look good Spanishrose. But Photox brings up some good points… I would turn down the displacement on the leather for sure.

I’m curious, when you said you didn’t like how the HDRI came out… maybe show a screen shot on how you set it up in the compositor. Maybe you just got a setting wrong possibly, or needed to rotate it on the z axis. I do think that it could benefit using an HDRI.

Here is another update:

Leather bag has great improvement. The bump strength seems a little strong I might lower it 10-20%.

I lowered the bumps now it looks better.

Looking much better.

The bag seems a too perfectly oval at the opening. I might flatten it out a little and add some waviness.

The peg board is showing image tiling, you’ll need a larger texture or somehow rework it.

One of the great things about glass is the refraction. Think about lowering the camera and rotating so the that the leather straps on the bag are directly behind the glass marble on the right. And in general more shapes are behind the glass. The distorted/refracted objects behind the glass will give a very nice effect.

Great work.

I changed the camera angle to see what happens and I did get some interesting glass refractions. I had to add the back wall. It is only a plane with a white plaster texture on it. I have also re worked the board as well.

I’m curious, when you said you didn’t like how the HDRI came out… maybe show a screen shot on how you set it up in the compositor. Maybe you just got a setting wrong possibly, or needed to rotate it on the z axis. I do think that it could benefit using an HDRI.

Harleynut I did use the HDRI on this and all I did was increased the light on the key and fill lights. I didn’t do any compositing yet on that. I do like HDRI images and I did use the Hamarikyu Bridge image. I had to add the back wall so that the hdri won’t show after I lowered the camera. I do value your input and once I do the compositing I will be happy to show you that as well. Should I do that now with my next post? I thought it was done at the final render.

Actually if you look in the compositor right now and press the world button, you should be able to see how your HDRI is set up. What I was curious about is if you were using a texture coordinate and a mapping node. When you use a mapping node, it allows you to rotate the Z axis and move the hdri so you have more control over what parts of the HDRI are effecting your scene.

If you don’t want to see the hdri as a background,(and only have the reflections/light appearing) than check that “transparent” box in the render tab in the film section.

Actually no I was not using the texture coordinate and mapping node til you mentioned this last time so I went in to the World setting and reset it to using both of those nodes

Here is a screen shot of the node setup now of the World

Here is the one with transparent background

So which one would be better for this. Or Post #12 image work.

Looking much better. I think you should use the version with your wall. You need something in the background, and the exterior hdri doesn’t feel right. Also I think you are using the low quality jpeg image, you should switch to either the low quality or high qulaity hdr version. If the scene is meant to be indoor maybe find a nice interior hdri to use instead. The marbles are refraction a perfectly upside version of the image, and if it’s indoors you shouldn’t see a sky.

The marble bag feels too puffed up, I would flatter it out a little bit. Good progress,

Here is an update. I could not open up the HDRI from sIBL with my PS. So I had to Google the images and I found a one. I hope it works. It is on an interior scene.
I also added back the wall that I had. I also flattened the bag.

Photox thanks for the help

CC are welcome

Usually when I download an image set from sibl I need to unzip it, and when that’s done it’s a directory with like 6 images, 2 of them are hdr, and you shouldn’t need to open it in photoshop. Maybe you found a way to download single images?

Bag looking much better.

The circular peg board is somehow not right. What if that is dark glossy plastic and you get some reflection of the marbles in it? Similar to the black material on the end of the bag straps. A thought.

The blue and white marbles are really sticking out like a sore thumb now. See when you start fixing other parts of the image, it’s like that game whack-a-mole , another thing jumps out. You fix that and then there’s another. Hard to say exactly what’s wrong. As a challenge, pick on the marbles in this wikipedia image and try and recreate it as a replacement for the blue and white ones. Marbles.

Get a little bump or texture or something on that back wall.

On the next round, lower you light strength a little bit. See how that looks. Nice work. You’re about to turn the corner on this one.

@Photox Thanks – I do agree that something was off on the marbles. I wanted the cat eyes but I tried to get the colored eye to show instead of black so I decided to try all one color so I changed the blue and white marbles and I did change the game peg board to be more like plastic. I added a small amount of bump on the wall I also darkened it somewhat.

CC are most welcome

Great improvement on the peg board ! It’s a tough environment you are working in because of so much brownish tones, but this scene has improved dramatically over the last few days.

In some ways I do think you would benefit from different colored marbles possibly.

@harleynut97 thanks for your input. I really like how this turned out.