Workflow and Shortcut Questions

I’m current following this tutorial:

The author uses some shortcuts, that I think would be helpful, but I can’t find where they are in the menus. I am currently using Maya presets, and those shortcuts aren’t available.

P key, for Separate - This isn’t even in the input tab on user preferences. Is there a menu for this?
Y key, for Split - Same thing.

@2:56 - He somehow seems to mirror the cursor, when selecting the planes. I’ve tried X-Mirror, but this does not work for selection. How is he doing this?
@3:10 - He seems to “smooth” the wireframe. What is he doing here, and how is it done?

Also,
I’m trying to follow this tutorial:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Modeling/Meshes/Smoothing

I have tried to use the “Auto Smooth” on my object, but it does nothing. Why isn’t it working?

Thanks!

P key, for Separate - This isn’t even in the input tab on user preferences. Is there a menu for this?
Y key, for Split - Same thing.
Mesh / Vertices

I have tried to use the “Auto Smooth” on my object, but it does nothing. Why isn’t it working?
What version of blender are you using. Supply a demo blend file

I’m using 2.71. The model is here:
http://www.filedropper.com/booleaned-objects-for-play

@2:56 - He somehow seems to mirror the cursor, when selecting the planes. I’ve tried X-Mirror, but this does not work for selection. How is he doing this?
The head has a mirror modifier

@3:10 - He seems to “smooth” the wireframe. What is he doing here, and how is it done?
The head has a subsurf modifier. You see it smooth out when he changes from edit mode to object mode so the subsurf effect is seen

I see it change with your blend file. Blender 2.71 is not the latest version. Use 2.72 available from blender.org

Unrelated but i still don’t know why people use presets for other programs in blender,it’s like trying to play competitive PC game with a console controller.

It is not so unrelated. If I used 6 different shortcut combinations for anything, I just wouldn’t.

Here is a real comparison. Lets use arrow keys for counterstrike, but wasd for cod, and why not just use numpad keys for quake. Please, in terms of workflow and shortcuts that is not cool. It is really nice, yo be able to have the same type of navigation in different 3D apps.

I highly suggest that people use the same shortcuts in general.

Well the primary reason I wanted to use Maya keybindings, is because of the QWER & F keys - which I find to be the most helpful for productive modeling.

QWER - Being the selection, translation, scale, and rotation.
F - Being the center on object button.

With this set up, I can place one hand on the keyboard, in it’s natural spot, and model easily for hours. With blenders current keybindings for these tools, I have to search all over the keyboard for the right keys - so annoying…

If anyone has an alternative to this, that would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there -

As a new user I went through the same problem. The fact is, the “Maya preset” is actually pretty awful because it changes both navigation keys but also tool shortcuts. I would recommend you to launch Blender with the defaults, then follow this :

From there you can then carefully edit the other shortcuts to fit your needs. This is what I have been doing and it is now working wonderfully well, and it still allows me to follow Blender tutorials relying on the default shortcuts. Win-win !