Ubuntu, get latest version from repository?

Installed Ubuntu + blender on an old laptop following the instructions where you first install blender from the ubuntu repository, then download the latest version from blender website. Works well, but now there are two Blender versions and the one started from the menu is the old one. Is there a repository for the latest blender? I tried sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:irie/blender but seems to give an error “failed to fetch…”
Thanks

Use the official Blender. You don’t need to install it, just make a launcher in your menu/toolbar/whatever and point it to the official Blender executable.

The reason they suggest installing the repository version of Blender is because it’s a lazy way of installing the dependencies, but the repository version of Blender itself is not needed.

Ok, thanks. I suppose there is no repository for the latest version?
How do you add a launcher in 14.10?

No and wouldn’t recommend using one even if there were because they’ve had many problems, no matter which distribution or what the package source is.

Don’t know how it’s done in 14.10. I’m on 14.04 myself and I’m not using Unity desktop environment. If it’s similar to older versions of Unity, you probably could add laucher to the dock by dragging and dropping the blender executable icon on it. If not, or if you want to add it somewhere else, check Ubuntu documentation/support.