Non Realistic Skin Shading Cycles (Material Link Added)

So lately I’ve been working on a few cartoonish characters with just the sss node and a texture. Now I’m looking into how to replicate the shaders used in, for example, disney/pixar movies. Basically I’m trying to achieve the look below.

I’ve done some research into blender skin shaders though all of the information is about realistic skin shaders.

So Yesterday I started Doing some testing with the head of a recently canceled project to see if I could recreate these materials, I tried to mix the sss node with the toon shader.

Result

Node setup
So that’s where I’m at currently.
Does anyone have any information on these types of shaders? Or examples of cartoonish shaders in cycles.

in the example it looks like somewhere between your material and a non sss material, so maybe make a non sss material and then blend it with your sss material.

Thanks for the feedback Modron,

I Made a duplicate material and replaced the SSS shader in the duplicate with a regular diffuse Shader.

On a non skin shader related side note I also started work on an eye material, my previous ones were just an eye texture. This material builds onto one that was given to me as a reference during one of my previous projects. As my previous eyes were based off a realistic eye texture, I felt a procedural texture would better fit the style. The reference I based it on used the noise texture, for this one I kept the noise texture, though I tweaked the scale and added in an additional musgrave texture with it’s own color settings to add to the eye color. Still seeing what I can tweak with that.

While working on the skin material I’m still researching into other node setups but I still can’t seem to find anything on these shaders. If anyone knows of some resources on this it would be most helpful.

it’s looking more like the example. I think there could be some more pink around the eyes ears and nose.

Added some more pink around the eyes and nose and also toned down the sss shader just a bit more.

Here’s the material without the texture added.

would you mind sharing a blend with the material?? Im trying to get a decent skin texture for a ballet project and it looks like you may be close to what im looking for.

I think I could prep a file with the material. Though as for the texture not so much. The texture was painted onto the test mesh and wouldn’t really work with other meshes.
Ill post the blend file as soon as I finish up a few things on the test head mesh.

Here’s the link to the material. http://www.pasteall.org/blend/32491
I gave color to the nodes that need a texture added. The texture for the test head mesh were made using texture paint. I don’t remember all the colors though the base skin layer hex code was FFC6B6.