"Last Whisper" - Kalin Parushev's animated short WIP

Update:

So, I decided to share my trials and miss-fortunes on my way to making my first animated short.

My project is quite ambitious, but I need to start somewhere. Expect a long thread, in which I will try to keep the pointless posts to a minimum.

1.I am yet to learn quality texturing, among other things, so most of the assets/characters will remain without textures for some time.

2.The storyboard is done, but is subject to change due to technical issues. Script is done.

3.Currently simultaneously blocking out the scene, camera angles, creating list of assets…

4.Animation…in any form…will start after February 2015.

I am hoping that people will be willing to drop by and give their perspective and guidance.

Let the games begin!

The head will be completely hidden by a fabric underneath the mask.

Belt.

Still uncertain what kind of armguard to go with on his right hand.

…And some more blocking…

Whoa, this is phenomenal! Great sculpting and form, I will be watching this thread, I’m excited to see what he’ll look like finished.

Glad you like it, Rachel. Still early WIP. Need to refine a lot of things, and consider rigging and deformations, and tons more.

Started working on the right hand. A sleeve. I am browsing through armor designs and I am very hesitant to start working on some kind of protection, although his clothes have a story as well.

Last update for today.

Eyes and facial expression are placeholder.

Worked a bit on an armguard.

Attachments

Some more work on the pants…

Last update for today…

Progress for today.

Every traveler needs a water pouch to quench his thirst. Made one, also a small katana.

Lets say that the initial blocking is completed.

This is the roadmap, from which I will build upon.

It probably seem vague right now, but things will get crisp with time.

Enforced on myself to stay away from the render button, until there is a good reason to do so.

Small update:

Added a sheath for the knives. I personally like the way the belts change the appearance front and back.

Did some work on the ‘eyes’ area.

Probably last update for today.

At least there is plenty to do. Hard to get bored, just tired. Did some initial work on a common enemy. Also segments for a wooden fence.

Edit: Maybe the neck seems a bit long.

Attachments

I am yet to learn quality texturing, among other things, so most of the assets/characters will remain without textures for some time

You may be still learning texturing, but your sculpting is outstanding. I’ll look forward to following your thread.

Thank you for the words of encouragement, Harley.

1.Today I made a couple of trees using the Sapling add-on. Cleaned up a bit and prepared for sculpting. Made roots and a stump.

2.Worked a bit on the silhouette of an enemy war-mount. I am glad how it turned out, considering how difficult it is to make such ‘animals’. Will need to research the legs/hooves in more detail.

3.More blocking of the scene and camera shots.

More work on the grunt, the mount and more blocking.

Spent some time re-learning few good techniques with curves, which will be quite handy soon.

Getting ready to sculpt structures.

Planning, planning, planning…

Edit: I think if I make the grunt’s back larger, hunched even, might look better.

Attachments

Update for 4/11/14

Obscure revelations…

Started preparing some segments for sculpting. I want to believe that planning ahead with those boxes will save me tons of time later on.

Started working on a second enemy. Short on time…must…sleep.

More work on the second enemy character.

Attachments

A small update on the main character.

Added some detail to the mask.
Some more work on the arms.
Work on the pants. Added laces at the bottom.
Some minor work on the feet.
The face. Getting angrier and angrier…

I am at the end of preparing the segments for the structures.

Then sculpting, then constructing.

There are various assets like tables and the likes that have proxies. Not a priority right now.

And some images of ‘camera shots’.