OpenCL kernels not compiling?

Does opencl work with the new build? And if so, just how long do the kernels take to compile nowadays?

I tried running the new 2.72 build on opencl_test recently with my AMD Phenom ii cpu and Radeon HD 69xx gpu.

Used the default cube scene, default setts., Cayman+gpu… took over 40 mins after which crashed from overuse of ram. Any thoughts?

Hi Kroopz, OpenCL is not supported.
Some cards are working with the last AMD Beta drivers, kernel compile need several minutes but not 40.
Read/search this thread for your card, better start reading backwards:

http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?254521-A-good-news-for-AMD-ATI-Graphic-cards-owners/page93

Here some users post there experiences too:

http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?323594-Cycles-AMD-OpenCL-Test

Cheers, mib

Thanks… Guess I’ll have to buy me an nvidia when I go pc parts shopping next time ;p

Which Catalyst driver version are you using? Which operating system are you using? Older drivers have serious problems compiling the cycles OpenCL kernel. The latest 14.9.2 beta Catalyst drivers however compile the OpenCL kernel quickly (around 20 seconds) and with minimal RAM usage, at least on HD7xxx / R7 AMD GPUs. Although still not really usable (mainly due to performance reasons) you can try GPU rendering several Cycles features successfully with it on AMD cards.

I received a new notebook computer from work and tried default cube OpenCL renders using 2.62b. The Cycles OpenCL kernel compiled with errors for the discreet NVIDIA 730M but it took long time, craploads of RAM and the render had artifacts. Doing the same for the Intel 4600 GPU took hours and used up to 5GB of RAM before finally failing compile.

I’m using a Q4000 over here and with the 2.72 I’ve timed out windows and closed. To compare Volumes now renders in GPU.
Same frame same everything but GPU TO CPu was 11 minutes for GPU and 4 for CPU rendering a decent scene at 150 samples.
Also note that I am now getting crashes in 2.72 GPU error. So I went back to 2.71 and no crashes thus far.
Crashes occurred when modeling in 2.72 as well as Rendering.
Maybe my cards Drivers are being deprecated via Blender’s Coders…? I went and got the latest drivers at Nvidia today, but they seem to be older then what I had in there??
Had in there-9.18.13.1090
driver date 12/29/12

Update as of today at Nvidia
2/9/2012

looks like the older one is online ~Strange