Found object modeling

This seemed like a good way to work on my modeling skills, so let’s get started shall we? My first object is a lamp shade. I didn’t think this could be hard, but it’s pleated and gathered so it got more complicated than I anticipated.

First attempt. I made a patch, added array modifier, parent to empty and rotate, then stitched together. It was tedious and ended up with some alignment problems, but here’s what I got.

Clay render:

Material render:

Thread preview:

I wanted to make something better, as there were details I left out, but it was too much of a hassle to edit this mesh, so I went back to the drawing board and came up with a neater solution. I created a pleated patch same as first time, but I used array modifier and then curve modifier to a bezier circle. Much better, really. It looks a lot cleaner too. :smiley:

Here’s a close-up shot. The edges give it away here, but it doesn’t look bad from a medium distance. If I find a matching lamp stand this could be a good prop for a scene.

Neat! It looks fine from that medium distance, and the lighting is nice and natural looking.

Very cool, good modeling and shaders!

Here’s another object. I’m not done yet but here’s a hint: it’s not a toucan.

It says wiperblade component to me, but I don’t think that’s it.

Nope that’s not it. Thanks for stopping by. It’s always nice to get feedback.

I’ve got more stuff too. :smiley:

This goes to what I posted last. I modeled it piece by piece and took it apart so I could get a look at all the details. The materials are pretty much placeholders at this point.

I got some weird shadows on the objects (not in this shot though)… I’m using subsurfs so I’ll have to investigate and see if there are any problems with the meshes.

Post #5 is a compass (the sort that helps to draw circles). Or it looks like one to me. The mechanical pencil looks very nice so far, as does the lamp.