Subsurface scattering

I have noticed that subsurface scatter node is only available under the experimental feature set, now, I go do render on my GPU and it doesn’t work very well, and using the CPU takes a lot of time, is there ANYTHING else in Blender that will give me a similar result to the subsurface scattering option?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Try translucent node.

What version are you running - SSS hasn’t been experimental for quite a few versions.

If you download the latest version 2.72 - SSS can be rendered on GPU.

I am using 2.72.

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/78864

That is a screen cap of the node set up.

Are you sure you set feature set to ‘experimental’? that warning only displays when you have it on supported. I use SSS on GPU under experimental on 2.72, GTX 780, Win 7 and it works like a charm. Post the stripped down blend.

Ah ok - so you meant that rendering SSS under GPU is only available under ‘experimental’, rather than the SSS node itself.

Have you tried setting the Feature Set to “Experimental” on the Render tab. I have and it seems to work fine.

As the poster above said though - the only real alternative to SSS is the translucent node - but this is also slow. Personally i’d just activate the experimental features and render SSS using the GPU.

I tried that, and the image would load, then it would just stay on the screen with no image loaded or any change, or it would mess up the display on my monitor for some reason. I don’t know if it is the GPU or a drivers issue or something.

What image are you talking about? I would post the blend and if someone can use it, it’s a driver/version issue.

Open this blend, and do a viewport render. Does it look like this, with a blue monkey and pink ears? If it does than something is wrong with your configs in your blend. If this file doesn’t have pink ears, than something is wrong with drivers/blender version…
sss.blend (638 KB)

Hi Bcrary3, the experimental kernel needs a huge amount of video memory.
I can´t even render the default cube with my 1.28 GB card.
There are some tools to get info about your VRAM usage, GPU-Z?
You can try to use smaller tiles, it save a bit memory.

Cheers, mib

Photox, I have blue with pink ears!

I am not sure what is going, on when I am done with a current render, I will try to upload a photo.

I am just using the .blend file from Nita’s Yummy Mummy, he said for it to render correctly, it had to be in experimental mode, which caused some issues for me. I will try it on a different computer, and see what happens.

Well knowing that suzanne rendered out ok, you have no issues per se with SSS on GPU, maybe it’s a memory issue, or the configs in the yummy file. Actually, that’s what you should do, take my file (or your default blend and import (append) the yummy scene into it and see if that works.

Alright, I will try that!

I had that same issue when I tried to render one of my characters after I added a good amount of hair to it. The issue was I didn’t have enough memory with the GPU, it seems this also may just be a memory issue so I would stick to CPU.

I tried to import it as you said, it work out alright initially (trying a new scene with similar nodes) and I keep getting the same thing, I don’t think it is a memory issue (I am using a 3gb card, I also tried a 3gb 780 too, with the same result).

Any other suggestions?

Open my scene that works on your machine. Blue monkey with pink ears? Good ok, now file append, go to the yummy blend and append bezier curve.005 from yummy mummy. If that appends and renders ok, then start appending like 5-10 objects at a time top to bottom. If at some point it stops working you have a memory issue. If you append everything and it works, well, delete suzzane and use that file. If you are running out of memory you can turn down the resolution on the bezier curves from the mummy file.

It works alright doing it that way, but when I switch to branched path tracing, I get this:

NVIDIA OpenGL Driver
The NVIDIA OpenGL Driver lost connection with the display driver due to exceeding the Windows Time-Out limits and is unable to con tinue. The application must close.

Error code: 7

There is an amount of time that your gpu will wait before it barfs, you can increase this amount of time, where I didn’t know. It’s either in your gpu driver or windows registry I think. There’s threads on it, try searching the forum will keyword from the error.

If that is the case, it isn’t very long, because this happens in a matter of seconds! Haha, but I will search around and see. Thanks! :slight_smile:

It is 2 seconds by defualt. It’s in the registry. Make a backup of the registry and change the key to 4 or 8.

tdrdelay is the key

Microsft page

Okay, so I have the following:
NAME: (Default) TYPE: REG_SZ DATA: (Value not set)
NAME: DxgKrnlVersion TYPE: REG_DWORD DATA: 0x00002005 (8197)
NAME: UnsupportedMonitorModesAllowed TYPE: REG_DWORD DATA: 0x00000001 (1)

Which do I change?
haha, sorry. I have never really touched any of this stuff.